Chapter 30

Searing with a pain she had never felt before, Liz woke with a startled scream on her lips and tears trailing down her cheeks. Her entire body was on fire, yet she shivered with a bone deep chill that made her teeth chatter.

What the hell was that? She questioned her fresh nightmare.

Barely a day in captivity she was already going insane. She had to be, considering that she didn't even remember falling asleep. But there would be no forgetting the horrifying images she had just dreamt. With the nightmare fresh in her mind, she still felt trapped in that small, dark room. The room that smelled like death, a scent she had never experienced before, yet instinctively knew.

She could still feel the evil presence hiding in the shadows of her dream world. And then it was as if she was there all over again, within her nightmare, staring into the dark void, holding her breath as her skin crawled with a sense of foreboding. Something was coming. But she saw nothing. At least not at first.

Then it had suddenly appeared before her, a monster, shrouded in darkness, snarling and snapping, with only its glowing, burgundy eyes illuminating the small room. It rose from the pits of hell, growing in size and ferocity, revealing its long, lean build that carried bits of rotting flesh tangled in its dark blonde fur. In seconds, it had zoned in on her, boring its blood-shot eyes deep into her soul. It had come for her, and all she could do was scream.

Drenched in sweat, she was confused and crying. Was the nightmare real? Quickly she realized she was still in her cell, and for the first time she was thankful for it. But as she looked up, she did not expect to see those same nightmarish burgundy eyes staring right at her, right into her soul with the same burning hatred she just escaped in the dream world.

Her body froze, both afraid and unsure if what she was seeing was real or a hallucination. Hoping to rid herself of the vile vision, she wiped her face. But no, they were still there, hovering within the endless darkness beyond her dungeon bars, those glowing orbs of malice. Her strangled scream had those eyes crinkled in amusement. The maniacal bellow that followed was all too familiar. And then the beast revealed itself. Coming into the dim shaft of light, her only light... it was her captor. The Rogue.

"Whether you are awake or asleep, I enjoy watching you scream," he commented. "I hope your sweet dream was filled with images of me. It would only bring me more pleasure to know that I torture you even when I'm not here with you." Especially when I am not allowed to go near you, he hissed in his thoughts.

A cold shiver ran down Liz's spine, and before she could contain her words, they were flowing out of her, "Yes. You were at the center of my nightmare, but it...it didn't feel like a dream. It felt so real."

The Rogue's eyes twinkled in delight. "Tell me more about this wonderful dream," his deceivingly, sweetly lilted voice stung in her ears.

So you can gloat some more? No thank you. Liz held herself together by a thinning thread. She mustered her best stony glare at the Rogue, but he only laughed.

"Was I ruggedly handsome?" He persisted. "Maybe I was naked for your pleasure?" He laughed again. "No, that sight would have had you aching for my touch."

Liz cringed in visible disgust, which only humored him more. "But I wonder what had you screaming in fear," he continued, his voice dropped and growled in excitement. "What did you see that had you running out of your dreams?" Her eyes locked onto his in a weak attempt to match his fortitude. How pathetic, he thought. Her sad attempt to challenge him only had his eyes glowing in growing rage and his wolf scratching at the surface.