Chapter 37 (Part One)

The large television illuminated the dim room, becoming the focal point of all attention as the pretty brunette appeared with a breaking news story. At first, the attentive viewer thought it might be just another "wild animal" attack, but as he watched on he soon realized that wasn't the case.

"Turn that up," Regent Alpha Collin Embree instructed his assistant, who quickly obeyed.

The woman's voice seemed to nearly echo around the Regent Alpha's ears. "...Police cannot confirm at this time what is running loose on our city streets. Calls are still pouring in with claims that New York is being invaded by a demon, a bear, or some kind of mutant wolf..."

Collin growled.

"...While some of these claims may sound ridiculous, police are still taking this very seriously. So far this creature has caused three accidents, damaged one parked car, knocked down five street lights, and even bulldozed through the corner of a brick building..."

What is that idiot Rogue doing? Collin wondered.

"...No injuries or fatalities have been reported as of now..."

I'm going to kill that stupid wolf!

"...But with a trail of destruction like this, we can only wonder what kind of creature can cause this much damage. Police are asking citizens to stay home and don't go outside. Until they can find this mysterious creature and put it down, no one is safe..."

He going to ruin everything! The Regent Alpha's snarl had his assistant cowering in confusion.

"...As for what this creature is, well, we'll let you decide. I'll leave you with a video clip we've obtained from an eye witness who's seen this beast up close. I do warn you, what you see may disturb you. But before you watch it, remember, stay inside and be safe. Police are currently contacting wild life experts for assistance. So don't be a hero. Leave this one for the professionals. This is Sarah Shelton, reporting for news channel 17."

It was a gritty, shaky video. But there was no mistaking the intensely iridescent indigo glow of those eyes. Eyes that he could never forget.

"Leland," his shocked whisper had him staggering back a step before his thoughts could register what he was seeing.

Lord Alpha Leland Moore was caught in werewolf form. On video. For all of New York and all the World to see.

He committed a cardinal sin. A sin whose punishment went far beyond a challenge for his title and shame upon his defeat. This would strip away his very rights as a werewolf, possibly even his life.

In that moment, Collin Embree should have felt shame. He knew somewhere deep inside that Leland's descent into madness was his indirect doing. But all he felt, in that sudden realization of what was happening, was a surge of excitement. The Lord Alpha's actions had undoubtedly changed his plans, and would inevitably bring in the Council's involvement – not something he had wanted, but... this new development only bettered his plans to remove Leland from a position of power. It could remove him wholly, completely, and – indefinitely! And Collin wouldn't have to lift a damn finger to get it done.

By this time tomorrow, he would receive a call from the Council that would set into motion Leland Moore's ultimate demise.

"Sir?" his assistant's hesitant voice broke him of his thoughts.

Turning to the inferior wolf, he realized he couldn't wipe away the broad smile on his face. "Leave me," he waved the wolf away. Once gone and out of ear shot, he hurriedly called the Rogue. It was time to dispose of the insolent fool who was no longer needed.

But the phone kept going to voicemail, over and over again.

Frustration turned into rage as the Regent Alpha threw the newly purchased burner phone into the wall, causing it to shatter into a million pieces.

"Where the fuck are you?" He growled between gritted teeth. Where the hell was the Rogue?!

****************************************

Thank you all for your loyalty, votes, comments, shares, and general love of this story.  I especially appreciate all your patience as I write this.  It's not always easy when life gets in the way, but I will always make an effort to get the next chapters out to you as soon as possible.

<3

~Nikki Hudak~