Chapter 11

Liz was terrified. White knuckled she gripped the steering wheel and drove as fast as she could without alerting any possible cops, while a confounded scream threatened to rise out of her throat. Somehow she managed to release it in the form of a frustrated sigh.

Shit, shit, shit, she chanted over and over in her mind. What the hell had she gotten herself into?

After Leland had left the room it was as if the fog in her brain had been lifted and reality had shined its annoyingly bright light into her face. She stood blinking for a moment, processing what had happened when a horrific sound, like a lion's roar, ripped through the house, rattling the windows and shaking the books in the walls. In that heart pounding moment her scattered thoughts were snapped back into place. Any attraction she had felt for the wolf-man just moments before were instantly suppressed beneath a thick layer of fear that the horrendous and powerful sound had caused, no doubt by Leland himself. Her instincts told her that it had something to do with that phone call, and with her emotions knotted-up tight she wasn't about to wait around to confirm her suspicions.

She had to get out of there and fast. Forcing her trembling limbs to move she made her way out the door and down the hall. Then just as she realized she was utterly lost, but before she could properly panic, the tall butler appeared once again. "Hello Miss," he bowed, "May I be of service?"

Liz had eyed the tall man, wondering if he were human or not. In an attempt to decipher for herself she momentarily studied his lanky frame, neatly gelled and combed dark brown hair, and chocolate colored eyes, as if his appearance would give her a clue. The butler smiled like he could read her thoughts, "No Miss, I am not a werewolf. Not technically."

To say she was shocked was an understatement. Did he just read her mind? Like a clairvoyant or something? "How did you...?"

The butler's smile widened, "Lucky guess. I figured if Master Moore is the first you've ever seen then you might be wondering about the rest of us here."
"Just a bit," Liz almost smirked. "And you're not all werewolves?" She somewhat whispered the question.

"No. Not technically."

"What does that mean?"

He gave a moment of considerable thought before answering, "That is a complicated matter to explain. I believe Master Moore would be best suited to explaining the 'ins' and 'outs' of werewolf culture." Liz stiffened at his suggestion, which did not go unnoticed. "Is there something the matter? Are you feeling unwell? Shall I call for Master Moore?" Concern etched into his face. If the young woman felt ill at ease he certainly did not feel qualified to settle her nerves. And was certain his employer would insist he himself be the remedy for the woman who quite obviously had captured his attention.

"No." She answered too quickly then paused to offer a small smile. "No, that won't be necessary. I actually need to head out. I came on behalf of my boss and if I don't get back to her then I'm in big trouble. You know how it is." She let out a half-hearted chuckle.

He did indeed 'know how it is', though his gut told him she was leaving out some details. But he wasn't one to pry. "Oh, of course. My apologies. If there is anything else I may do for you please don't hesitate to ask. The name is Charlie."

Liz suddenly realized the not-quite-a werewolf before her was the answer to her silent prayers. "Actually, you could help me with one thing..." her smile sharpened slightly.

And that was how she got Charlie the butler to lead her down to the servants' entrance to find that Miss Vaughn's damn purse had been sitting there The. Whole. Time!