Chapter 22

The new description has been decided & will be posted this weekend, just need to do a few tweak.

As for this chapter, please note there are several POVs happening at once.  I ask you to let me know if anything confused you - this will help me with my final editing once the book is finished.

Thank you :-)

~Nikki Hudak~

***************************************

Early in the morning, well before the dark sky could be hazed by the pre-dawn light, Leland Moore had arrived at a dire conclusion. He was absolutely and irrevocably obsessed with Liz Soler. During his fitful night of attempted sleep wrapped in a cocoon of her intoxicating scent, he had more than enough time to dwell on the shit-storm that was barreling his way, and to contemplate how said event would affect his Liz. In the end, after a heated debate with himself, more like with his wolf, he concluded that it was best if she stayed out of it.

The thought of his human Mate getting caught up in the middle of a werewolf battle for territory had his hackles raised and his wolf prickling at the surface. He had tried to tell himself that she was safer if she wasn't with him, that it was good that she had run from him, again. And he had tried to ignore the pain in his gut that manipulated his thoughts to render every horrible scenario she could find herself in without him.

He tried.

But his instinct to protect Liz was strong, and it fought with his logic that reasoned she was safe by default. No one knew she was his Mate; therefore she was protected from the werewolf community by simply being human, per Wolf Law. And yet, even though no one knew what she meant to him or even who she was, he was unable to focus on anything else but keeping her close. It didn't help that his every thought was invaded by her. Her luscious lips. Her rounded hips. The way she trembled every time he caressed her velvety soft skin. The scent of her arousal and sight of her flushed skin. And her taste! When he licked her honey from his finger it was... transcendent.

With this arousing type of distraction, it was no wonder that he had somehow found himself back at the Luna del Lobo Country Club, had spent his entire morning searching for the employee that had helped Liz and her friend last evening with their unauthorized entrance, and then sat amongst the ruined furniture of his office to stare at a sticky note for twenty minutes. Written on it was a phone number. It didn't belong to the person whose voice he longed to hear, but he'd take what he could get. Anything just to be with her again.

The problem was how was he supposed to ask this Jenny to help him find Liz? What would he say? A thousand scenarios ran through his mind, all of which made him look like a stalker. And yesterday it was made very clear to him how protective Liz's friend could be.

Suddenly, his phone rang, jarring him out of his stupor. A familiar name appeared on the screen and with it came the reminder of all that was at stake. In an instant Leland went from pitiful pup to dominant dog. "It's about god-damned time," he growled into the phone. "Where the fuck have you been Aston?! Don't you ever make your Alpha wait! When you see my number you jump to answer that bloody phone!" Hearing himself, he nearly flinched. In all the years he had been the Lord Alpha, he had never spoken to anyone in such a demeaning manner before, least of all to Aston. The male was loyal to the bone, he knew that, but his wolf was hovering on the edge of madness. All sense of reason was slowly ebbing away.

Leland noted the slight hesitation. "My apologies Lord Alpha," his Beta answered. "I've been out on the hunt where there was no signal. I only just received your message, Sir."