Chapter 6

Liz wasn't sure what had gotten into Miss Vaughn all week, but since she came in on Monday the woman was a royal bitch, with a capital "B". The only blessing was that she hadn't seen the boyfriend. Yet. An involuntary knot formed in her stomach at the thought of him. She didn't want to think about him, or his smile, or his amazing eyes, and then there was his physique.

Stop it, she scolded herself, while adding more vigor to her cleaning.

"Maria," Vanessa sauntered into the kitchen, "You need to redo my bathroom. I can still see the soap scum. It's disgusting."

"Yes, Miss." Liz didn't look up from the counter.

"If you can't do your job there is always someone else who is willing," she said as she sauntered off. Liz gritted her teeth and kept silent. It wasn't safe for her to speak at the moment. "I'm looking for my little black purse. You know, the one with the little red roses embroidered into the seams. Have you seen it?"

"No, Miss."

"Are you sure?"

What did she mean by that? Liz paused her scrubbing at looked at the woman. She's heard that tone before, not from Miss Vaughn, but from other people who just assumed by the look of her that she would steal. As if being part Hispanic meant that she was dishonest. Liz really hoped that this was not where the conversation was going, but looking into her boss's eyes right now set her on edge. "I'm sure. The last time I had seen it was last Friday. It was on your dresser. You were getting ready to go out."

"Are you saying I lost my own purse? How absurd."

Liz was trying to maintain her composure, but it was becoming very difficult. This was one of those moments her mother always warned her about. She could hear her voice in her head now, Elizabeth no matter what they say to you don't lose your temper. Keep your head down and do your job. Your pride won't feed you.

Yes mama, she sent the thought to Heaven, which sobered her. She would not dishonor her mother. "I will look for it, Miss."

This seemed to satisfy the bitch. Liz went back to cleaning while Miss Vaughn continued to fuss over every little thing. At some point Liz just started to nod absentmindedly. It wasn't like her boss really cared; she just seemed to want to bitch, about everything.

Maybe she needs to get laid, Liz thought, which made her think of Leland. An involuntary groan escaped her lips. The thought of Miss Vaughn putting her hands on Leland's perfect body was annoyingly upsetting.

"Excuse me?" Vanessa said with her right eyebrow set into an arrogant arch. "Is there a problem over there?"

How was Liz supposed to stay calm when being talked to like a dog? "Nothing Miss." She attacked the counter as if trying to strip it layer by layer. Thankfully the phone rang and Miss Vaughn was back to focusing on herself rather than on Liz's cleaning abilities.

Vanessa sighed in relief as she looked at the name on the caller ID, "Leland," her voice sounded more breathy than she intended. She was supposed to be punishing him by stripping him of her presence, only it seemed the opposite. He hadn't come by or called or anything since the last time she had seen him, which was last weekend when they rendezvoused at his place. It was like he dropped off the face of the Earth.

Liz stiffened at the mention of his name but her boss didn't notice, thankfully. She pretended to clean while she strained an ear to hear the one-sided conversation.