Chapter 5

Vanessa fell back onto the bed with a sigh. She was sweaty and satisfied. It was such a pleasant surprise to hear from Leland earlier this afternoon, and even more pleasing to end up at his place by evening. Finally. The bed creaked. She looked over and found her man putting on his pants. "Where're you going?" She stretched and traced a manicured nail down his muscular back. "I was hoping for another helping." He was an animal tonight. It was unlike anything she had ever experienced before. Whatever had gotten into him, she wanted more of it.

Leland was quiet for a moment as he continued to get dressed. She said something more to his back, but he had tuned her out. Just before exiting the bedroom he turned to her, "I'm feeling peckish. I'll be back." He didn't wait for an answer.

The sound of his bare feet on the hardwood floor was as lonely as he felt. He shouldn't feel alone. He had a beautiful woman in his bed, waiting for him, practically begging him to return to her. So why was he feeling empty inside?

"Damn it," he whispered to himself. He couldn't get her out of his mind, even while with Vanessa all he could do was wish she was someone else. It was difficult looking at her when another woman was on his mind. But damn what a woman. Elizabeth Soler, in the very short time he had known her, had completely turned his insides upside-down. He thought about the first day they met and how confusing she had been. One minute she was a submissive housemaid, and then the next she was self-assured with a hint of dominance flirting in her eyes. He had been so curious about her that he realized only too late how deeply he was attracted to her. This was not what he was accustomed to.

Leland Moore was a man of power. He was in control at all times and everyone around him knew it. He had hundreds of people under his command and not once did he ever waiver in his decisions, big or small. It's what made him so successful in life. But when Liz entered his domain all he did was question himself. And every question revolved around her.

Most of all he wanted her to be his, which was a new feeling for him. He was definitely a territorial man, there was no doubt. But he had never been quite so possessive over a woman before. For a long time he's enjoyed the hunt, the initial flirtatious game that would always end with a pretty woman inviting him to her place. Sometimes he'd even date one, like Vanessa, who proved to have qualities he could like. Well, at least for a little while. His relationships usually didn't last longer than a month, which is almost where he was with Vanessa. Eventually he'd lose interest and find another woman to hunt.

It's not like he can help it. It's in his nature after all. The lone wolf. So perhaps this was all it was. He's become bored with his current girlfriend and is ready for fresh meat. As he thought this he knew it wasn't the same story as before. Liz was different somehow, and he couldn't quite figure out why or how.

"Leland?" He looked up to find Vanessa leaning against the door frame in nothing but a loose t-shirt, one of his. Funny, he didn't recall entering the kitchen, or starting a sandwich. He looked down to the turkey on rye that he was creating.

"You coming back to bed?" she cooed.

"In a minute," he was paying far too much attention to spreading his mayo.

She strolled over to him and draped herself over his one shoulder. Nibbling on his ear she whispered, "I've got something better than a sandwich, and it's warm and wet and waiting for you."

Normally this would be all that it would take for him to throw her on the counter and fuck her right there, but the pickles wouldn't stack themselves, "In a minute," he said.

"What?" her voice was cold, disgusted. She backed away and glared at him, "Are you seriously choosing a goddamned sandwich over me?"

Leland glanced up at her and watched as she flipped her golden hair behind her shoulder. "I told you I'm hungry." As if that was the reason he was being a jackass.

"No, you said you were peckish. Big difference." She huffed in annoyance. "Which doesn't fucking matter since I should be more appetizing than fucking bread and meat and cheese, anyway." Her arms were crossed in as much anger as insecurity. Did he not find her attractive anymore?

He didn't say anything for a long moment while he put away the ingredients to his late snack. "You've got to be fucking kidding me," she snapped at one point.

When he was ready, he lifted his turkey on rye to his lips and took a big bite. It was then that he looked at her. Her glare. Her stance. Her energy. He listened to her voice and to the rapid pulse of her angry heartbeat. She was mad. And insecure. A mix he didn't care for. This was not one of those moments where passion would overtake them and he'd realize he wanted her. He was done with her. Done with her rich-bitch act. She was just a spoiled brat, nothing special. He took another bite while she blew up at him, called him every nasty name under the sun. But he knew. He knew she was feeling self-conscious. His approval of her, well any man's approval was what she craved. She wanted a sugar daddy to care of her and make her feel pretty. Well, he wasn't that kind of man.

"Get out."

"What?" she stopped mid-insult.

"I said get out," he put his sandwich back on its plate, wiped his hands and placed his hands, palms down, on the counter. It was safer this way.

"Excuse me? Are you kicking me out?"

"Yes."

"Leland, don't be ridiculous..."

"Don't make me say it again," his body stiffened, yet he maintained an even voice.

"Can't we talk about it? I'm sorry I lost my temper. Y-you can eat your sandwich." She was stammering, weak. He hated weakness.

His eyes became dark, cold, and angry. With a deep, menacing growl he said, "This is your last chance darling, before I do something you may regret."

A loud snap startled Vanessa. She looked down and saw the large crack developing in the solid marble countertop. It startled Leland too. At what point had he grabbed the counter's edge? He didn't recall, but it was enough to chase Vanessa out. She rushed to the bedroom and threw on her own clothes, not bothering to look perfect, for once. In moments he heard a car door slam and she was gone. Finally.

He looked down at his handiwork, "Shit." That was a $10,000.00 countertop that he had to replace now. He placed the broken pieces on the counter and left the room. He was no longer hungry.

*************************************************

BOOM! What do you think?

;-)

I hope you enjoyed that and caught the foreshadowing hints I threw in there.

-Nikki Hudak