THE BABY MILL [[43]] INDUCTION

Sweat was pouring down JongHyun’s back. His palms were clammy, having had made it difficult to turn the doorknob. Every muscle in him was clenched and quivered with nerves. Adrenaline flowed in every artery and pounded in his ears. A twitch started on his eyebrow.

            How was he going to accomplish this? Even with MinHo…

            His brain raced with ideas of what could happen yet he felt surprisingly calm. Too calm… Way too calm…

            More sweat pooled in JongHyun’s armpits. He didn’t allow it to faze him, knowing the carrier he was helping walk was more important than his levels of perspiration.

            They were holding a good pace considering their condition. MinHo was at the front, edging a few feet forward, pausing to keep his ears peeled for noises, and pushing on again when he thought things were safe. He was like the leader of a wolf pack guiding the others. He was on the hunt for his mate, currently trapped in the medical wing.

            “W-wait,” Key gasped, clutching his stomach. The hand clinging on to JongHyun’s shirt tightened. He keeled over, eyes scrunching up and breaths coming unevenly. It lasted only a moment, but it was enough to kick JongHyun’s anxiety up a notch. He forced himself to remain calm for Key’s benefit, nudging him forward when his spell passed.

            Key grimaced (or was that a smile?) and moved along, desperate to reach TaeMin as well.

            The hallways seemed longer than ever to JongHyun. He’d never seen them as this long when he went to shower or get examined. Like endless tunnels leading to yet another one… They might as well have been a skipping CD.

            Ahead, MinHo paused, pulling out the small lay out of the building they’d stolen when trying to find out TaeMin’s whereabouts. He glanced at a sign on the wall, nodded to himself and carried on.

            JongHyun and Key kept at his heel, following every twist.

            “S – sto – wait.” Key doubled over, all his weight falling onto JongHyun. His uneven nails dug into the donor’s shoulder, leaving crescents on his skin. There was nothing he could do but wait out Key’s spasm while MinHo impatiently hopped from one foot to the other in front of them.

            “We can’t keep stopping,” he hissed at them, bouncing on his toes.

            JongHyun stabbed a glare at his accomplice, trying to make him understand that this wasn’t something they could control. It wasn’t like he or the other had a uterus in their body that wasn’t meant to be there. Or had an incision in between their legs that allowed mutants to come into this fucked up world. Neither of them could imagine the pain and suffering Key and all other carriers were going through… They hurt, but they died for this every day.

            It wasn’t long at least till Key was straightened and they were walking again. This time they reached their destination without another interruption, much to the relief of all three of them.

            ‘Medical Wing’ was written on a plaque with an arrow pointing to the right. All three boys stared at it feeling that something big was finally going to happen. Uniting MinHo with TaeMin; freedom. It all lay beyond the door they were now facing.

            A folder beside the door had tabs with a half dozen names written on them, followed by numbers. No one paid them any specific attention.

            With a heavy breath, MinHo looked at the shadows, back at the pair waiting for him to make a move. JongHyun could see the trembling I his hands, knew he felt the adrenaline twice as much as him. Knowing how he was with his cabin fever and antsy attitude, too, he was probably facing a bttle inside.