THE BABY MILL [[28]] HERPES

Insomnia was something JongHyun was becoming acquainted with. He still remained confined to the bed most of the time, unable to extricate himself from the blankets because of his sheer unwillingness to exist. Ever since he’d answeredMinHo’s question, the one where he’d inquired about his desire to locate his carrier he had shut himself off. It wasn’t that he took pleasure in being antisocial, but fear was eating him like he was a well seasoned chicken leg.

            In the beginning, when he’d been a fresh-out-of-college, twenty year old jumping for the first job he could obtain because of certain debts he held, he’d been fearless. JongHyun still had the image of himself, innocent and anxious to get out and explore the bad and good in the world. Everything had been so bright then. He’d been so empty of harsh burdens, but prepared to embark onto adventures that could sweep him in their direction. Wings had spread from his back. Life had looked good to him.

            Fear hadn’t been in his vocabulary.

            Until Dr. Park showed up and offered him the apprenticeship and it had seemed like the perfect opportunity. It gave him experience in a clinic environment that he envisioned himself in since he was young. Providing the miracle of life for people who couldn’t do it themselves was the best job in the world…

            But of course, life had a cruel sense of humour.

            Lying in the large bed he knew that his courage had long since left him, leaving him with wisps of what he used to have.

           MinHowas still in the corner, too. Even with his momentary lapse in prudence JongHyun knew that all was not changed. The vulnerability they’d flashed had given them the little shake to remind them that even together they were alone. Affection had no place in the institution.

            Nonetheless, even with the silent war they waged against each other they still battled over who was more suited to hold the sole blanket in the room. Surely the brute couldn’t be so hard headed that he rejects the only source of heat he could secure, JongHyun had thought. ButMinHowas dumb enough to curl up on the floor every time he grew bored of pacing. From experience, JongHyun knew that the ceramic was not a comfortable place to be. Although he took care in staying pressed to the wall and gave up his pillow even to create a separation between the two sides of the bed,MinHostayed faithful to his corner.

            Meal times became a welcome intrusion to the tension slathered thickly in the room. Shower times were even better, though they never seemed to come as often anymore. What really made things difficult for JongHyun, though, was when the floor manager walked in, bright blue and pink octagon badge posted on the spot above the area his heart would be, stating his superior position. His presence only meant one thing: someone would be dropping their pants.

            There had yet to be a time where two cups were in the doctor’s hands and both boys were forced to bare their genitals. The army of employees that trailed after him reinforced the intimidation the manager wielded. They had to oblige no matter what…

            Having been put through so much crap already JongHyun had no shame in stretching the elastic to his pants so that they piled at his knees. He was so engorged that you could barely tell what it was anymore, anyways. Unless you really studied it closely you couldn’t tell that it had once been a healthy penis. ForMinHo, though, it seemed to be a completely different story.

            Every time his eyes locked onto the badge and the persons beyond he tensed up and shrunk back into his corner. With his one lone pillow and the occasional blanket (depending on who had been the last one to pass it off) he looked ridiculously childish. Every time it was the same thing and this time was no different.