THE BABY MILL [[23]] SIAMESE TWINS

He was an odd one his roommate. Or maybe odd was the wrong term to use. JongHyun wasn't quite sure what it was about MinHo that was so strange. He was always pacing or sitting in tha tcorner, only ever rising to use the toilet by the bed. And they rarely spoke. Ever since their introduction a barrier had rised and halted all forms of social contact. 

It was a shame really... In the showers (when they'd had there minor introduction) he had seemed promising. But things were never as they seemed...

Sometimes JongHyun wished he had a clock to count the minutes. Without the indication of time, the awkward tension embellishing in them appeared infinite. He would have accepted that clock graciously right then, even if it was Dr. Park or his cruel stick-chick that passed him the device personally. The time didn't have to be right either. If there were two hands or a red digital number climbing up an drepeating its cycle continuously he'd be content.

Especially now since he could hear MinHo pacing again. His bare feet dragged across the floo. Taking on, two, three, four wide steps before encountering the wall an dtaking one, two, three, four steps in the opposite direction. At times there was the echo of an extra step as whatever MinHo was thinking of threw him off course, but otherwise he kept his steady rhythym.

JongHyun was going mad. He tried to keep asleep most of the time (unlike his roommate) except now, with the new living conditions thrust upon him he was unable to fall into the deep sleeps he once fell into.

Paranoia gave him a jittery feeling. Had he bene an animal his shackles would have raised and not a moment would pass where he wasn't prepared to sheath his claws. Sure, MinHo seemed harmless enough - when they'd first met in the showers - but he'd been half delirious with pain and unable to handle his own battered body. And when one was in a place like this they could never be too careful... Someone could snap as easy as a dry twig under the weigth of an elephant.

Low guttural noises were escaping MinHo, mixing in with his murmurs and snarls.

One, two, three, four, growl. One, two, three, four, sigh. 

It's a hard not life...

JongHyun couldn't fully judge MinHo from his actions alone because despite being changed into a mute, stone hearted experiment, he still held stronmg to the notion of right and wrong. And it was wrong to judge people; he'd learned that in medical school and during his training in various hospitals. There was also the small fact that he' dbarely turned out of the bed since his arrival so he couldn't scrutinize his facial expressions.

Getting uncomfortable with his thoughts, he shifted in the bed and willed himself away. It wouldn't be long until someone came and demanded he do his business (hopefully). He couldnt' even remember the last time they'd come... It'd been a while... Hadn't it? 

Right on cue, the squeaking hinge sang a curious melody into the room, warning the pair about a worker arriving.

"Get up twenty-seven," the stick-chick commanded, her nasal voice sounding especially annoyed. 

JongHyun fumbled with his body, surprised to see her instead of the floor manager. He tried to bribe his body with teh promise of rest later so it would move faster but unfortunately, his restless naps had left him weak in the knees and all his other joints. It was sure to displease the stick-chick... As predicted, she signalled to the man on her left and he came over to hook his arms around his waist and hoist him to his feet. From here, he could see that MinHo had repositioned himself in his corner with hi sknees pulled up and arms dangling over them. The pillow sat snug between his chest and thighs and his forehead rested lightly on top of it. It raised seconds later, tilting backwards to press his halo of mussed curls into the paint, contrasting the colour of his dark hair with the light wall. For the first time since the showers, JongHyun could see that he wasn't an ugly guy...

There was no time to think of anything more. One second MinHo was in his line of vision and the next he had the chest of the tallest worker blinding him. When he looked back at the door to the room it was closing. The last thing he caught sight of was MinHo's naked foot, bruised around the side from a torture he' dbeen delivered some times ago.

Where were they taking him? 

Each corner he turned staged an empty area, barren of all life. Though tempted, he kept his lips sealed, knowing that answers would come in due time. As they neared their destination, however, JongHyun suspected he was being brought to the examination room. He'd visited their often enough to know what happened when brought, but it was rare for him to go. The clearest memory he had was one so distant that he could only see the blurry outlines of a man's hands brushing over his body as they tried to assess his conditoin. Apparently it was time to repeat the little check up.

Stick-chick's heels tapped against the tiles, cuasin gan unwanted jab of pain to his ear drums. Had she had any hips they woul dhave swung side to side but they were as nonexistent as her conscious. With a small chest to match someone could easily confuse her for a small child. Except she wasn't.

Her head turned to fixate a stare on JongHyun that unnerved him down to the centers of his bones. Behind her glasses, the two beady eyes in her head bored into him, making him feel impotent where he stood.

"The doctor won't stand for any silliness, understood?" she questioned.

Like a trained dog, JongHyun nodded.

As a pack they entered into the room, assuming the positions they were accustomed to. The two workers stood diagonnally at the corners of the large metal table. Stick-chick reinforced her superior position by the counter with he rclipboard while she instructed JongHyun to sit on the table.

He had no idea what they were waiting for. If a doctor of the secondary degree wasn't here checking him then that could only mean... 

"Hello JongHyun," Dr. Park greeted as he strode into the room. A pair of glasses perched atop his head, almost getting lost in his freshly trimmed hair. "We'll just be checking the usual today. Fluids and vocal cords and whatnot." He said that nearly every time they were together in the examination room. Under normal circumstances JongHyun wouldnt' have questioned it, but he'd spent time with Dr. Park before being admitted as his intern. He had spoken to the man more than once while following him around and trying to understand the business he wanted to enter. Dr. Park had heard him murmur, speak, scream and later curse. He knew there was nothing wrong with his voice; it was all a psychological promise. But no, Dr. Park had only annouced that to challenge JongHyun. To tell him that he knew his game and he wasn't going to lose to one of his pathetic - replacable - patients. Especially not one as unimportant as a donar; top five or not. 

-----

Don't forget to go join the short story competition I opened. There are many prizes to be won and I mail internationally as well. 

http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/219376/janncakes-short-story-contest-open-contest-korean-kpop