THE BABY MILL [[1]] EGG

Please don’t be disappointed. Please don’t be disappointed. Please. Please. Please.

            The young boy pleaded repeatedly in his head, the words having become his mantra over the time he’d been kept cooped up in this atrocious place. His feet scuffed along the floor tiredly, the assistant he was with doing very little in helping him keep his legs underneath him. He could care less, though, as he knew there was much worse awaiting him beyond the narrow space between the two blank walls he was ambling sloppily between. The room at the end of the hall was the exact area he was dreading to enter. He woefully howled inside like a lone wolf on the top of a mountain calling out to its mates that were too far to hear his cries.

            With its four walls clean of even the tiniest specks of dust and the tools in there waiting to get into action on his body – it was more than a bit daunting… The mere thought of the room was enough to send unnerving tingles pitter pattering up each disk on the boy’s spine.

            “Come on now,” the worker “steadying” him coaxed in a steely voice dripping with impatience.

            So much for hospitality, the boy thought bitterly. Of course, he’d never witnessed any glimpses of friendliness since arriving to the institution.

            The steel door sealing the examination room came into sight and the young boy literally began to tremble in the lose pants adorning his frail figure. Each one of his muscles contracted every few milliseconds until he was left a mess of quaking bones barely able to place one foot in front of the other. His instincts screamed at him to run in the opposite direction – make a break for it; fight or flight – but he had neither the energy nor the courage to do that.

            Keeping a firm hold on his arm, the employee nudged the door open.

Whole staffs of workers were waiting with their clipboards and medical instruments in hand. Lab coats dressed their bodies to give them a professional look since the coat really served no other purpose. Maybe it was one of their tools for intimidation… God knew they still wouldn’t need them if that was the case, though, as just the sight of them huddled together as they were was enough to send anyone trapped in here into a frenzy.

            A steel table took up most of the space in the middle of the room. Though it was the centerpiece to the room there was still much space left to navigate around it.

            The young boy was forced to move into the midst of the lulling activity. A woman familiar to him – one he called the she-devil - stepped forward to aid her co-worker in placing him on the cold, flat table. It took all he had left in the boy to just hoist his leg up onto the table. Relief flooded him when he was able to lie down on his back and take the pressure off of his legs. It was a short lived moment however, as the team of doctors closed in on him to probe at his sore body with stethoscopes and that God awful blue gel amongst many other objects he wasn’t able to pinpoint the name of.

            “Is there any activity?” The question came from Dr. Park, the only one that the boy knew by name. Usually he never dropped in on examinations as small and minor as these, but the lack of progress he had been experiencing had piqued the doctor’s interest it seemed.