THE BABY MILL [[56]] TOXOPLASMOSIS

Minho had been in the midst of being escorted back to his room in isolation when the alarm had sounded. The look of horror on the workers faces when it rand was all he needed to bolt out of there. He wasn’t going to stick around, that was for sure.

            The workers had tried to detain him. One had tacked him to the ground, but the tiger was determined enough to let out all he had. He worked through Minho, unleashing hundreds of pounds of brute strength onto the men that tried to hold him back.

            He had told Dr. Park. He had warned him. He would be the victor at the end of this.

            MinHo threw a punch at one of the workers, hearing a satisfying crunch that was followed by a spurt of blood.

            The distracted threw off the other workers’ focus. It allowed MinHo to slip through. His bare feet slapped on the hard floor, putting more and more distance between himself and his captors. He felt exhilarated. At his side the tiger was panting, eyes bright, fur gaining more of that bright orange colour each time his paws hit the floor.

            He needed to dodge around things and people. Sometimes he ducked low out of the way of others since he had no clue whether or not they were safe to be around. It was a free for all and MinHo wasn’t going to risk being caught by anyone.

            There was a trophy waiting for him just outside the exit. It would be his. He skidded around the building, treading the same path once or twice, but eventually he found it.

            Two doors were wide open on a wall. The locked doors that he must have passed tens of hundreds of times. The very ones that each person in this place had warned him about. They had all said that if he was going to keep misbehaving they would shove him there and he would rot to death. And they were wide open now. There was no smell of decay. No dead bodies.

            MinHo could see beige walls, vinyl chairs with metal foundations. More doors were waiting for him beyond the bed with the paper covering and the desk laden with the paper covering and the desk laden with miscellaneous objects he couldn’t place.

            There was no time for observing the area. The tiger nudged his hand, urging MinHo into a trot. He jogged out of the area, passing through two sets of doors before he found salvation.

            The moment fresh air knocked his skin the tiger dissipated. He became one with the surrounding nature, his rejuvenated body simplifying his journey back home. MinHo too was ready to go back home. He didn’t know where to start, though.

            Police cruises surrounded the area. Yellow caution tape cut them off from society. To think that they hadn’t even been that far away from civilization. MinHo couldn’t fully understand how Dr. Park had transformed one building into the mouth of Hell. They were not alone on this street. How did no one else notice that so much was happening behind those walls? He didn’t get it.

            He didn’t have a lot of time to mull it over. Someone approached him and placed a gentle hand on his arm. A woman. Not a mousey one like the witch who worked inside. She was adorned in a police officer’s uniform. He saw her belt of tools hanging on her hips, her hair in a pony tail. Her face… Not showing any signs that she wanted to harm him.

            “It’s okay, I’m not going to hurt you. Are you one of the boys?” she asked him. Her voice… Wasn’t menacing…

            MinHo followed her to a section where ambulances were lined up. He was sat in a wheelchair, someone wrapping a sleeve around his arm getting tighter and together as his blood pressure was measured.

            “He’s very emaciated,” someone said to their partner.

            MinHo was still in shock, though. He couldn’t digest the fact that he had been living amongst regular people. If he had managed to escaped. He could have reached out and called someone and they would have all been saved.

            “Mild state of shock. We need to admit him fluids; he’s severely dehydrated.”

            As they admitted who knew what to him MinHo watched people flood out of the building he had just escaped. Apparently he’d been one of the first boys to escape.

            Watching officers come out through the doors, sometimes with men in cuffs (some which he recognized) and sometimes pushing gurneys or wheelchairs. His heart clenched watching some of these boys come out looking far worse than what his wildest imagination had come up with. They looked like corpses.

            Coming out with the fluxes of people was a familiar face. He had seen that face at school, and here at the institution.

            “Taemin! Taemin! You have to help him! Help him before me!” MinHo shouted, throwing himself out of his chair. Paramedics tries to hold him down as he frantically gestured. He persevered, desperate to get his carrier into professional medical care so he could be helped. His insistence forced someone to stray and fetch the boy with a few members of their team.

            TaeMin wasn’t all there and didn’t notice MinHo when he was transported onto a gurney to get treated. His worries were appeased, though. They were in good hands. Dr. Park wasn’t there, he was no longer the one to make decisions pertaining to their health.

            With a somewhat relieved sigh the ex-donor relinquished himself to the care of the officials. It was time for him to follow in the steps of his tiger, who by now was most probably dozing somewhere. It was time for him to start his journey home.