THE BABY MILL [[50]] EDEMA

Key was paralyzed. Not in the literal way, but he might as well have been considering that he could hardly move. Any feeble attempt at movement left him scrambling for breath. He couldn’t even defecate on his own; they’d needed to attach a bag and tube to his side so that he could relieve himself. How embarrassing.    

            He was a prisoner to his own body. Because it hadn’t been bad enough to be a prisoner in general. Now he was completely trapped. There was not a single piece of energy remaining in him. His body was shutting down but his mind couldn’t stop moving. The workers had come to take him awake with a wheelchair but they hadn’t said anything to him. He’d been brought back to his room and had been placed in his bed. The second they’d set up the machines they had left him. Without even a word of what was to happen, they were gone.

            The she-devil would probably be coming in to check on him. Dr. Park would most likely be too busy checking on everything and everyone else after this scandal of sorts to come check on him personally.

            But Key wouldn’t know unless someone came to inform him and that would never happen. Nobody was allowed to fill in the donors and carriers on what happened. It was one of the many golden rules they had at the institution.

            Key had nothing to do again.

            It was a bit silly how he didn’t know what to do any more. He’d been here long enough that he should have been able to figure it out, but he couldn’t. So mnay time he had spent waiting for JongHyun and Minho since they’d met. Now, after their attempt at breaking out, he had no idea how to handle himself. He couldn’t even more… Not that he had much leeway before, but this was worse. He was restless and immobilized.

            His thoughts kept spinning back to TaeMin and how he was faring. It was no easy task giving birth, something he knew all too well. The pain the young boy must have been feeling… He didn’t allow his mind to spin around the idea for too long, not wanting to revel in his own memories.

            One moment he thought about TaeMin and just as quickly he was thinking about JongHyun. The last he’d seen of him they were ripping him away and Key had been shouting at him. They’d been pulled apart so fast he hadn’t even had time to say goodbye. With all the mayhem he doubted he’d even be able to have mustered up enough words to leave his donor with a proper parting. Nevertheless, he formulated one in his head. If he were to ever see the other man again he’d be prepared.

            Thinking that only made him think of the life he’d led before he’d been taken.

            The lights, the stages, the photo shoots, hair and make-up. He’d be a liar if he said he didn’t miss it. There was so much he wanted to do again. Would he ever be able to do it again? It was doubtful. There would never be a swarm of paparazzi to invade his personal space again. Never again would he be blinded by lights as he walked down the carpet with his entourage of celebrities and other top models.

            The more he mulled over his past the more emotional Key got. Tears coursed down his cheeks, marking the pillow lying beneath his head.

            Maybe if he wished really hard then he could take JongHyun and they could walk down the red carpet together. Key could show him his condo and they could relax together without a care in the world. They wouldn’t be burdened by the memories of this place. There would be nothing to remind them of the obscene things they had been through.

            “The doctor is waiting in the examination room. Get him in the wheel chair.” The she-devil was right on time. Maybe the Devil had made her clock in earlier because of the hell they’d caused him.

            Key could hardly feel it as they transferred him from the bed to the chair. There was a big probability that he had even fallen asleep or passed out during the ride to the examination room because he could only remember the occasional blur. He was so tired… So tired…

            “Carrier 27, one of the escapees. You requested that he come see you,” the she-devil announced.

            He was swiftly removed from his chair only to be laid down on the stinging cold metal of the exam table. Key would have flinched but he had no energy even for that.

            The doctor had actually stepped off his pedestal to pay him some attention. Key didn’t know whether to feel honoured or insulted. He would have preferred to melt into the back ground…

            “Prepare him! I don’t have time to dawdle on one carrier for long!” snapped Dr. Park.

            Key heard the distant sound of people pull on gloves and soon he was spread eagle on the table. His knees almost touched his shoulders. The position was more than a little uncomfortable, it was downright painful.  He could feel the chill of tools as his artificial hole was stretched open. Fingers poked inside of him while others took samples of his blood and measured his blood pressure levels. He was a lab rat surrounded by cannibalistic companions of the upper class.

            They shouted out codes and doctor gibberish that he didn’t understand. The only thing he could understand was the worried tone in the voice of the doctor. When Key opened his eyes he spotted Dr. Park pulling the she-devil to the side, his thick brows tightened towards the center of his face.

            “Two carrier gone… Can’t afford… lose… Extreme care… Don’t ask questions.” Words got lost in and out of the conversation. Key wasn’t able to piece all of the sentences together, not that he really needed to; he had that gist of their chat compiled. They were running low on boys and they couldn’t afford to lose Key on top of it. Thought it would be so much simpler for Key if they would just let him go.

            “Risk of infection, sir, first degree,” the worker between Key’s legs announced. Another by his head ran off a list of other things that left him befuddled. He had never understood their medical dictionary. The few things he had come to comprehend fell into the category of positive for either infection or pregnancy. He would leave it at that. If he learned any more then the chances of him forgetting his stay here might as well be blown a kiss as he tossed them out the window.