THE BABY MILL [[ FINAL ]] POST PARTUM

Waking up TaeMin felt that something was different. Sleep had been kind to him, absorbing him in a tender embrace and wiping away all his pain. He had wanted to stay there without a care in the world but real life was calling to him. The funny part was that when he awoke his dream state still continued.

            The room that he opened his eyes to seemed all too familiar. He wasn’t surrounded by the four cement walls of his room but by curtains and bright white lights. He was still in the medical wing… Was he waiting for another round of insemination? Was he sick again? The last thing he wanted was to have the she-devil or Dr. Park come in.

            One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten.

            He guessed the hustle and bustle from the other night had all been a dream. Of course, he should have known. How could something as miraculous as that actually happen?

            TaeMin waited, like he would under any other circumstances. His mind wandered, trailing to this and that thought. He sensed he might be alone for a while, even if his gut wasn’t on board with him.

            A good hour must have passed. If Taemin bothered to stray outside of his mind he might have been able to notice the details that had changed. The different sheets on the bed, the different machines around. The different print on the curtains. Everything was changed but TaeMin had become used to seeing the bigger picture. Dawdling on details served only to complicate things.

            One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten.

            “Morning sleepy head.”

            The curtain was drawn back. Not only did the mechanical lights ambush Taemin but sunlight. Sunlight! He couldn’t believe it.

            A woman was standing there with a large smile. She had a clipboard in hand and another woman behind her. Neither one of them looked like the she-devil. This one had honey blonde hair tugged up into neat bun. Her scrubs were a pretty shade of baby blue, not the white of the workers he’d been surrounded by for months. And there were people in the room… More than himself and the nurses…

            What was happening?

            “It’s all right if you don’t want to chat. It’s still really early. I’m only here to check up on you, give you some medication and tell you that breakfast will be served in an hour,” the girl said. She darted around, jotting things she observed down on a sheet of paper.

            Taemin tried to keep up, finding it near impossible. Her energy was impressive, he admitted to that, especially since he felt so washed out.

            Things were buzzing in his head. There were too many things to settle and not enough space in his head. So he settled upon asking a basic question in hopes of clearing an area to store more thoughts.

            “What’s… What’s your name?” he asked when the nurse was about to leave the room with her colleague.

            “My name?” She flipped around and put all her attention on him, radiant smile never faltering. “It’s Hana.” With that she was at the door.

            Taemin could see a flash of two police officer’s outfits as the door shut. Reality was starting to sink in. Even though he was perplexed – about everything – he discovered he was sure about one thing.

            It was over. No more. No more she-devil. No more Dr. Park. No more babies. It was finally over. 

a/n: It's over. This is the end of The Baby Mill. I hope you all enjoyed it. And just to clear things up, the last chapter dedicated to Onew was signalling his death. I invite everyone to read FREAK SHOW (click click) which will be my next multi-chaptered fanfic. Comments make me smile. 

Please do not expect fast updates, though. I am slowly deteriorating health wise - wrist, head, stomach - and I need time to recuperate and get my life together while tryign to manage work and fix relationships. 

I will be posting Freak Show on Wattpad too.