||Chapter 12||

Leah looked around at her handy work and took a proud step back. She beamed at the small device she had tinkered up before glancing around the lab in search for Howard. She furrowed her brows when she couldn't see him but suddenly felt her eyes be covered by a pair of warm hands.

'Finished?' The person whispered in her ear sending a chill through her body.

'Mhm.' She said nodding her head.

The person continued covering her eyes but she knew exactly who it was, Howard Stark.

'Why're you covering my eyes?' She asked after a few confused moments.

'I don't want you to see me inspect your work because if I don't like it I don't want to see your little sad eyes.' He muttered.

He continued observing the work until he took his hands away and let Leah become free to see as usual. He gave her a sassy glance before picking up the object and raising his brows.

'By first glance it's made perfectly.' He explained.

Leah felt her cheeks flush red until Howard's face turned into a grimace and he made a scolding noise.

'What do we have here?' He chimed as he poked one of the contraptions buttons.

Leah's face fell before Howard placed the project down and folded his arms over his chest.

'I can't bring you with me for my top secret project after faulty work like that, you're fired.' He said frowning.

If you've seen what an upset puppy looks like you can bet your bottom dollar that Leah looked even more broken hearted than it. She tried to fight the tears threatening to spill from her eyes but she began boiling with rage. She followed his instructions word for word so if there was a mistake it was his own fault. Howard's mustached upper lip twitched slightly before he broke into a wide grin and took a step towards Leah.

'I'm just kidding-' He said before she furrowed her brows in both confusion and frustration.

'That wasn't very funny, Mr Stark!' She said whacking his arm.

She hadn't noticed but a few tears had slipped from her eyes and ran down her cheeks.

'See-' Howard began as he washed away her tears with his thumb.

'-this was the sad look I didn't want to see.' He muttered.

Leah laughed lightly at his deep frown before the lab doors swung open.

'Howard-' A British voice called before he spun to face the gorgeous female.

'Why is your mustache so sad?' She questioned.

Howard let out a deep chuckle before moving out of the way so the woman would get a view of Leah.

'Peg, this is Leah, my new assistant.' He said happily.

The Brit, Peg, raised her brows at the two of them before taking a step towards Leah and extending her hand.

'Peggy Carter-' She said smiling.

'Leah Delo.' Leah said shaking it and trying to resist the temptation to say she already knew.

'Now, Howard, Dr Erskine wants you to run over these before the-' Peggy paused before glancing at Leah then back to Howard.

'-project.' She finished.

Howard took the file folder from the Agent before handing it directly to Leah.

'Welcome to Project Rebirth, Kid.' He said before Leah gasped happily.

'Howard-' Peggy chimed.

'Peg, no need to be so secretive, I trust Leah.' Howard said before turning to work on some of his own projects.

Peggy stood wavering before she left the lab and waved goodbye to an over excited Leah. She couldn't wait until Avery heard that she'd gotten the job on Project Rebirth.