||Chapter 27||

SHOUT OUT TO paulruddd BECAUSE I THINK YOU'LL SE WHEN YOU READ IT

------------------

Leah walked until she couldn't take the chilling weather. Maybe she should have waited for a ride from Jarvis. No, she didn't want anything to do with Stark. She came to a halt and found a phone booth before searching her pockets for spare change.

'There you are.' She said taking out her nickel and inserting it into the slot.

She dialed the house phone her and Avery had gotten but there was no answer.

'Did she find Bucky or something?' She mumbled before thinking hard trying to remember Bucky and Steve's number.

After a flourish of rings someone finally picked up.

'Hello?' Steve's voice rang through the phone.

'Steve, do you know if Avery is there?' She asked.

Somehow, without her knowledge, tears had fallen. How could Howard do this after she thought he cared about her?

'Yeah, would you like me to get her?' He replied.

'Y-Yes please.' She said sadly.

He must have noticed the sadness in her voice because he intervened rather than getting Avery.

'Leah, what's wrong?'

'Steve, it's nothing serious.' She said as strong as she could.

'Don't lie to me, Leah, I'm your friend and I want to help.' He insisted.

She let out a sob she'd been holding in and that's when Steve knew he'd need to get Avery in order to truly help.

'Avery, Leah's on the phone and it doesn't sound good.' He hastily called.

She looked at Bucky who was cuddle with her on the couch before jumping up and running towards the phone. She grabbed it from Steve and placed in to her ear.

'Lee, what's wrong?' She asked.

'H-Howard lied and while we were going to-' She paused and searched for the right word to use.

'-we were going to fondue I found some pieces of the time machine in his jacket.' She finished.

Avery thought hard for a moment about why fondue sounded familiar before speaking.

'Why would be mess with the project?' She asked.

'I-I don't know.'

Avery smiled slightly before speaking.

'Lee, I think he wants you to stay because you obviously mean a lot to him for him to risk all of this so you wouldn't leave.'

Leah twirled the phone cord between her fingers before speaking.

'Avery, what if I don't want to go back anymore?' Leah said nervously.

Avery let out the stressed breathe she'd been holding on the subject and smiled wide towards a worried Bucky and Steve.

'Leah, I think the way things are shaping up for us is much better than it would in our time and if you want to stay, I'd stay with you.'

Bucky looked shocked before grinning wide. Leah sighed and looked at the stars in the sky.

'Ave, what am I going to do about Howard?' She questioned.

'Like you told me about Bucky; go and find him.' Avery replied.

Leah knew Avery was right so she hung up the phone and left the booth hoping she could get back to the estate before it got too late. She walked thinking about all that she might say. Did she love Howard? Sure, she felt strongly for him before but since they forgot about Marvel, she only had the memories made recently. Thinking hard she realized that along the road, she'd fallen in love with the most brilliant man of his time; Howard Stark.

------------------------

Social Media

Instagram: @sabrinademelo.wattpad

Twitter: @DeMeloWattpad