Chapter 2: "YOU SCREW WITH THEM AND YOU SCREW WITH ME!"

~Elise's POV~
The sun blinded me momentarily, and I half-expected to be in my bed. I would get up, make breakfast for my little sister, and possibly call Kayla and see how her trip was. I would marvel at the strange dream I had, and tell my cat all about it.

My half-expectation was wrong. I quickly looked down to find we were not at home.
Zora was already alert for trouble, looking ready to jump somebody(I have the scariest best friends...). Kayla was moaning that the air was hurting her face. I shielded my eyes from the sun with my left arm and waved my friends over with my right. Kayla sat cross-legged next to me. Zora kneeled to the front of me.

"Um..." I said uncomfortably. "I, uh, guess that wasn't a dream."

"Yeah." Kayla replied, still with an air of unconcernedness. Zora whipped around.
"Look, this place is dangerous! I don't know how Alice got her happy ending, but we're three middle school aged best friends and only one of us really knows about this place!" She yelled. "None of us if you count the factor of personal experience!"

This shocked me and Kayla into silence as we realized the truth in Zora's words.

"Okay." I broke the silence. "I'll... I'll explain what I know. Tell me the things you know first, so I can tell you the useful information."

Kayla and Zora nodded. The latter spoke first.

"Well... When Alice first came to the Country of Hearts, she drank some weird medicine that anchored her here and forced her to play the game." Zora said. We looked around.

"Okay, no medicine, um... Check..." I replied, shifting into a more comfortable position on my knees. "The world was ensnared in a three-way war, between Mafia, Royalty, and an Amusement Park."
The two girls nodded slowly, the memory starting to return. "And, there are people called role-holders who have faces. The rest of the people have no faces."

"Called faceless." Kayla confirmed. "Jabberwocky.**" She added randomly after a second.

-POV switch(Sorry!!!!!!!)- NORMAL POV-

If on cue, Elise opened her mouth to start reciting the old poem from Lewis Carroll's sequel to 'Alice in Wonderland', titled 'Through the Looking Glass'. "'Twas brilling, and the the slithy toves-"

"SHUT UP ALREADY!" Zora and Kayla yelled in unison.

"Right." Elise said sadly. "Okay, so... There's a war between the territories in this world, with one neutral zone. There are four territories, remember them now?"

"Yes. The Clock Tower, which is where we are now, and is the neutral zone, where no fighting takes place, the Amusement Park, Heart Castle, and Hatter Mansion." Kayla spoke flatly, but as soon as she got to the words "Hatter Mansion," her eyes lit up.

"Correct. The Clock Tower is the home of Julius Monrey, Who's role is the Clockmaker. He's basically a cynical mechanics nerd who's ridiculously pessimistic with reeeeeeeally long purple-blue hair. And he fixes clocks." Elise explained. "Clocks are the hearts of people in this world. When people die, they turn into clocks and get sent to Julius, who fixes them."

"You didn't need to explain that." Zora said thinly.

"I know." Elise continued without her friend's support, not really caring. "In Heart Castle, there's Ace, a strange knight who always gets lost, Vivaldi, the cruel and cold-blooded Queen of Hearts, and Peter White, the White Rabbit. He's also the Prime Minister. In the Amusement Park, there's Boris, a hot guy with cat ears and a tail who has the role of the Cheshire Cat, and Gowland, the park owner. He's a terrible musician."

"And in Hatter Mansion, well... That's the home of the Mafia Syndicate called the Hatter Family, right?" Kayla looked expectantly at Elise, who nodded, happy that her friends were connecting the odds and ends of this place.