Dinners and Skype Calls

~ Chapter 9 ~

 I finished my session with Joker and met up with Nathan out in the hall. We then left the asylum and headed home. I took a shower and got dressed with Nathan rambling about the meeting throughout my every move. He even talked through the door the whole time I was showering. I pulled out a white dress I found in the closet and put it on. I sat then sat at the dresser and opened my makeup bag. I was never really a fan of make up and it always felt weird to me, but I put it on whenever I'm around Nathan. I've been doing that for as long as I remember. 

I pulled out the black shimmery eye shadow, and began working on a smokey eye look. I later put on some blush and began working on my hair. I also didn't know why I was doing it, but I always felt self conscious around him. Plus he encouraged me to, he always suggests I put an effort in my look instead of staying natural. I continued curling my hair then put on some heels, and looked at myself in the mirror. I pulled out my red matte lipstick and put some on. I grabbed my clutch and gave myself a final look. Upon eyeing my makeup I actually started to realize that it did sorta resemble Joker's. 

 I shook it off and walked out of the room. It was probably just his words getting to me. I closed the room's door behind me and stepped outside. I saw Nathan in his suit checking his watch. He looked up at me and I smiled.

"Oh great! You're ready. Let's go." He spoke standing up and walking in front of me.

My smile dropped and we walked to the car. He got into the driver's seat and I opened the door and followed behind.

"You look good." I spoke as we put on our seat belts.

"Yeah, I know. Wait, what time is it?! Good lord we're gonna be late!" He replied starting the engine and going off.

We went to this 'fancy' seafood restaurant. Most of the time it was either Jeremiah complaining about the lack of work being done or Nathan shamelessly complementing himself. I muted their conversation whenever I could until I was called on. To that I just replied with a smile or a nod or simple phrases of agreement.

"You remember that, don't you Eva?" Nathan said and all three of them turned to me... Busted.

"Uhmm.. Which memory are we talking about exactly?" I asked.

"The time I helped that family in the car crash. Then took care of the little boy who was still conscious." He said looking at me, as if he was daring me to disagree.

"Oh yes ! Of course! How could anyone forget?! You were so heroic!" I lied as Nathan smiled and turned back into their conversation as the attention diverted away from me.

After two hours of bragging and fake compliments, it was time to go. We said our goodbyes to the two men and left. All the way home I was bombarded by questions like 'was I subtle?' 'do you think they're gonna take me?' 'how about you just straight up recommend me to Arkham?'. I tried to convince him that I wasn't my dad, but it was no use.

The next week was boring as hell. Nathan kept popping up everywhere and I was getting pretty pissed.  I didn't have any sessions with Joker today, so I finished my papers and headed to the cafeteria. I headed over to the food counter and grabbed a tray. I picked up a plastic plate and some napkins before moving along the line.

"Hey, we need to talk.." I heard someone say from my right.

I looked up and saw Joker.

"What the hell! What are you doing here?!" I whisper/shouted at him.

"A lot can happen in those two days we don't have sessions darling. I'm allowed in the cafeteria now!..With the.. 'low threat patients'.." He said looking around.

"Uh listen, we need to talk. I have to warn you about something." He spoke as we moved sideways in the line.

I picked up an apple and some diced peaches, before we moved again. At this point, Joker was out of the line and just walking behind me and rambling on about how oblivious I'm being in my ear.

"Look, I don't know what you're hinting at..but I haven't slept well and this isn't really my week." I said turning my head to the side, catching a glimpse of him in the corner of my eye.

"Yeah but you've got to listen to me. I know I don't look like the kind of guy that would warn you of trouble. Especially since I am trouble..but I mean." He rambled on standing sideways behind me and leaning into the side of my face, so I could hear him, while he looked at everyone behind us.

"Is there a point to this?" I asked before moving in line again.

"Just give me a chance, Eva..Look at me!" He said grabbing my forearm and turning me to him.

"I'm trying to tell you that, Nathan isn't good for you, okay? He's messed up before and you won't believe me if I tell you what he did, because you can't remember hating him.." He spoke inches away from my face.

I broke our eye contact and looked behind him.

"Let me go. You're pissing off the guards.." I said nodding my chin to the guard behind him, who had his hand on his taser. Joker released me and looked back, before turning back to me and sighing. We made eye contact for a few minutes before I said goodbye and left to the doctors' side.

I later went home and stayed in the room, trying to escape Nathan's rambling. But it wasn't working the only thing that stopped him was sleep. At around 2 AM, I woke up and stepped out to get some water, but Nathan wasn't in bed. On my way the kitchen, I saw him on his laptop in the balcony. I walked over to the wall next to him and took a peak. He was on Skype with his brother. I stuck my head back in and listened.

"But I thought you said you were done with all that shit?! Why are you still using her?" His brother spoke.

"Yeah, but she can't remember anything and it's like life has given me another shot at getting what I want." Nathan replied.

"Believe me bro, it's really happening this time I can feel it." He added.

"Alright, just be careful man." His brother replied.

"Okay, I gotta go catch some sleep. I gotta wake up early tomorrow.." Nathan said and I rushed to the kitchen.

What was he hiding?! How was he using me?! Was it all about that job?! What was he trying to do..? Was Joker really trying to warn me of something..? I grabbed a glass of water and headed back to the room, before getting back under the covers.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Okay guys!! 

Good Morning! First of all.

So, Another update!

I hope you guys liked this one.

I have to warn you guys though..Next chapter is going to be H U G E.

Anyway!

Don't forget to comment your thoughts and vote!

Hope you all have a great day!

Much love xxx