Here Comes Natalie

~ Chapter 19 ~

After demanding that I get taken to Jack, Bruce grabbed me and we zipped up on his grappling hook as he swung us between another building and onto the ground. He then pressed a button on his belt and the batmobile opened as he helped me in. He then sped off to the direction of the asylum. I would've reacted to all of this if I wasn't too busy feeling hurt and anxious. Why do these calamities keep falling on our heads? Why does disaster and bad luck follow me? I taunted myself.

I can't lose him this time. I can't keep getting him back only to lose him to something bigger. Every now and then I'd feel Bruce look at me from the corner of his eye and I'd always turn my face slightly to the right and pray that the darkness of vehicle would hide my tears. Lost in thought, all of a sudden I realized that we had been parked for about 5 minutes and Bruce was just sitting there. Not wanting to disturb my inner war.

As I turned my head to look at my surroundings, he clicked on a button and opened the roof for us to exit. I got out and followed behind him into the asylum. As we walked in, everyone snapped their heads to his direction. A few of them noticed me for a second or so before turning their attention back to Bruce. We walked to the elevators and went up to the last floor. It was the floor where all the patients who needed intensive care were held. The gloomy floor that once you've entered no one came to visit you and you were forever isolated from the outside world. The faltering blue neon bulbs which gave the most dizzying glow made the atmosphere completely different from that of the asylum below. We walked past a few rooms until Bruce stopped and moved aside. His sudden movement revealed an anxious looking James Gordon who wasn't surprised to see me.

"He still hasn't woken up." He spoke.

"How are you, Eva?" He asked but I could tell it was more of a greeting.

"Fine, thanks Commissioner." I replied.

" You don't have to see him right now. Go get into some uniform and have a break. We'll call you up if anything happens." James said.

"Okay.." I responded softly as I looked at him then at Bruce before turning around and heading back to the elevators at the end of the hall.

Why couldn't he just let me see him?! You know instead of just standing there and hogging the entire window! I grunted as the elevator dinged as I reached the bottom floor and I headed out and walked towards the front desk. A young girl was talking on the phone and I waited for her to hang up as she completely ignored my presence and continued to chat along. A few minutes later she finally hung up and turned to me.

"Hi, what do you need?" She asked.

" I want a uniform and any desk and locker for now and if you'd please inform Dr. Arkham that I'm here. That would would be great. My name is Dr. Evangeline Striker." I explained.

"Oh yes. Dr. Striker.. He mentioned that you were going to drop in earlier today." She replied.

"One moment please." She said as she picked up the phone and dialed the supply room. We waited for a few moments before someone brought me a coat and a name tag.

"Okay..There you are. About the locker, yours will be number 145 on the 7th floor since you will be working by the I.C.U. Oh! Here comes Natalie. She can help you get there, your locker is next to hers." She said as she handed me my uniform. I then turned to look next to me as a blonde girl came up next to me on the desk.

"Hey Sarah. Do you think you could get me some more glucose solution. Things aren't looking well up there." She spoke.

She a was a little shorter than me. She had light brown eyes and thick blonde hair that rolled down to his waist.