Falling Back

~  Chapter 24 ~

After my talk with Bruce I couldn't have felt more relieved. We took to the kitchen island and talked until the sun rose.

" Well, the sun's rising..don't you have work to get ready for?" Bruce smiled at me.

" Oh no, I don't think they need me there." I looked down at the island and Bruce stared at me.

" He's fine, Bruce." I rolled my eyes.

" He's normal. He doesn't remember anything. He's living a regular life..without me. " I sighed.

" I'm sure he still has feelings for you, Eva. He's probably just lost, you of all people should know what it's like." He said.

" No Bruce. He doesn't. What happened to me was different, I had a sense of who I was back then but he doesn't. He's being programmed to a life of a completely different person."  I replied.

" Well then he must be an idiot to see you every day and not fall for you all over again each time." He stood.

" I have to go. I've forgiven you Eva but I still have to go back to Tibet. There's something that needs settling there." He added and walked over to me before he gave me a kiss on the cheek and turned to leave.

" And besides, you didn't exactly tolerate him when you lost your memory either now did you Eva?!" He said on his way to the door before he turned and gave me a subtle wink at the end and left.

I thought his words over and he was right. Damn you, Bruce. I thought to myself.  I was going to head to the asylum but my insecurities got the best of me and I decided to stay. 

* 2 Days Later *

It was getting really boring just staying at home and my mind was slowly killing me. I had decided then that I wasn't a quitter and that I was needed to do my job. I couldn't just let everyone down like that, even if Jack was an asshole. 

I arrived at the asylum at around 11PM and signed in before making my way up to Jack's room. Halfway down the ICU hallway I started to hear yelling and screaming coming from Jack's room. I listened carefully as I quickened my pace.

"I won't explain to you how to do your fucking job!" I heard Jack yell and then came the sound of something smashing and I started to jogged down to his door.

When I reached his door I saw Jack on the bed with two doctors by his side as he was clenching his fists before he grabbed the sides of his head.

" I don't care! I just.. I want- I want to see her! She..she soothes me.." He cringed a little before yelling again.

" I know sir but she's not-" The doctor was explaining before I cut him off by clearing my throat.

The doctors straightened up and looked at me as Jack stared at me from inbetween them. The doctors then nodded at me and left. I turned to Jack when they left and he was still staring at me, his face still red from all the yelling and he swallowed.

"Eva.." He said.

" Good morning, Mr. Jack." I greeted him formally and made my way towards the end of his bed.

He then quickly crossed his legs and I sat. 

"Mr. Jack? You're not serious are you?" He asked quietly.

"Well, since we're not friends I don't see it fit that we be on first name basis." I narrowed my eyes at him.

"Eva..I'm sorry okay?! You know I didn't mean that right? I was just angry and I didn't want to argue. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be so rude." He said.