The Demon Trials

~ Chapter 38 ~

* Bruce's P.O.V *

  I saw him standing before the green waters of a small pond that had occupied half of the underground cave we were now in. The edges of his robe like jacket were swaying with the slight breeze coming through from the small opening near the top of the cave. He had his back to me but I know that he senses my presence. He's one of the only people that I can't sneak up on.

"Detective.." He spoke. 

"Ra's." I replied.

"Have you finally come to your senses and accepted my offer? Have you finally came back to where you belong?" He asked quizzically while still staring at the moon through the small opening.

"I'm here for the trials." I replied.

He then turned around and walked towards me with his hands behind his back. He stopped a few inches away from my face and straightened his posture.

"Well good. I wasn't going to speak with you unless you've agreed to." He said.

"Are you sure that you're finally up for this? Once you're in there's no going back, Detective." He spoke.

"I'm ready." He stared at me for a few seconds trying to read if I'd truly meant my request.

"Very well. Come this way, Detective." He turned around and walked towards the left side of the cave. 

He reached a part of the wall that was filled with engravings as he pushed on some letters in certain words before a part in the wall slightly cracked open. He pushed the rocks apart and a smaller compartment appeared. He unlocked the small door and a chalice appeared. He got the chalice out and it was filled with a silver-ish liquid

" Drink Detective. If you truly wish to be an assassin and try the demon trials. I can't promise your survival but you show great potential. After all, you were trained by myself." He handed me the chalice.

I look down at the liquid as I took the chalice from his hands. It doesn't matter what I thought of what I was about to do. I had to protect Gotham from Joker's threat. I had to save him and myself. I had Eva. She would never speak to me if I hurt her like that. I can let him be another reason for her heart breaking. 

I brought the chalice up to my lips and drank the liquid down.

* Eva's P.O.V *

Jack was with his men all day. He was suspicious of Bruce. He was trying to ensure a back up plan. I had decided to take a nap and I was curled up with my face to the wall on a little sheet I'd laid down in my 'corner'. I honestly don't remember the last time Jack slept. I can't believe how calm he is being. You know, other than the consistent yelling in my face and snapping at me. He's acting like nothing's wrong, like he's just waiting for a package of something he just ordered online not his only chance at surviving. 

I just can't read him sometimes. Seeing his face has my heart pumping but whenever I see this new look that he has in his eyes I just feel like something died within me. Like my soul was being pulled out of my stomach. I felt my eyes get heavy and I decided to give actually sleeping for once a shot. I let sleep take over but that probably wasn't my best idea. 

That was when the nightmares took over. All the pain and the adrenaline pumped back into me. My chest was heaving as I let out a few screams before snapping my eyes back open. I sat up and rested my hands behind me. I tried to take my breath as I felt the sweat pool at my lower back and drip from my face and chest. I felt my throat tighten and I few tears formed in my eyes. My eyes then snapped towards the door as someone opened it.