The Power's Call

~ Chapter 31 ~

*1 week later*

  I had taken it upon myself to start planting these dandelion and tomato seeds, that I had picked up from a nearby market, just outside our warehouse complex. Jack has spent the most of his week in the warehouse below our floor with his men. He said he was up to his neck with planning for all of this. I rarely saw him but I didn't mind. Maybe because the major part of me didn't want to have the least of anything to do with this whole fiasco. However, it did feel like he was just passing by to pacify me occasionally, just so I wouldn't get suspicious 

I finished shuffling the dirt for the new tomato seeds that I was planting next to the newly grown seedlings of the ones I had planted last week. Next I turned my attention to the tiny clay pot I had gotten to plant the dandelions in and began to water them. After pouring enough water, I then put the plastic bottle that I had poked holes onto it's lid aside, and made my way up to our floor. After climbing the stairs I opened the front door and found Jack lying on the couch.

"Hey! How come I didn't notice you heading back in?" I asked making my way to the kitchen's sink.

"You didn't notice me passing by because you were too busy getting down and dirty with those plants , Angel." He said as he stood up and chuckled.

His chuckle then turned into a cough as it has done for the past week, and he pulled out the same black handkerchief and covered his cough.

"I don't get why you don't want me to check your lungs out. The syrup and drugs obviously aren't working." I rolled my eyes as I turned to face him and he came closer.

He finished coughing and patted his lips before clearing his throat.

"Because Angel, I can't have you all worked up and giving me a full body check each time I get a common cold or some dry cough." He said as he stuffed the handkerchief in his pocket before taking my hands in his. I then sighed and lowered my head.

"Come on, doll. Look at me, I'm fine." He said as he grabbed my chin and had me face him.

And that was when I noticed a slight red mark on his chin. Almost like a little scar but the tissue was smudged out. I then brought my thumb up to it and pressed, smudging the colour a bit as some blood tinted my thumb and appeared onto his chin.

"What's that?!" I questioned him.

"Oh that! I hurt myself shaving this morning. Thought it closed." He mumbled before moving away from me.

"Well do avoid skinning your face off, next time?!" I rolled my eyes before walking towards the stairs.

"I'm gonna go rest for a bit." I added as I climbed towards my room.

"Go ahead, I think I'll follow you in a bit as well." He replied and I shut the door.

 I then kicked off my shoes and flopped onto the bed before turning over to my side. I then fluttered my eyes a few times drying to empty my brain of thoughts before giving in to sleep. I then woke up almost half an hour later and felt a dip in the bed. I then turned to my other side and found Jack facing me with his eyes closed. I then sighed and rested my hand under my cheek.

"You're awake." I then heard Jack declare with his eyes closed before he sighed and opened them as well.

"Hey..can't sleep?" I asked.

"Don't want to. Just resting." He replied as he propped his head up higher on the pillow and shut his eyes again.

I then watched his features, trailing slowly down his face before reaching his neck. There was a mark of red with shrivelled looking skin around it. There was a slight hint of green around the jagged skin and my eyes widened.