Behind The Cowl

~ Chapter 16 ~

   I fluttered my eyelids open to the sound of papers flipping and getting scrunched around. I groaned as the sun shined through the now opened curtains and straight into my sight. I rubbed my eyes and sat up. Jack was sitting up in the middle of the bed with papers all around him and he was crossing stuff out and practically stabbing the holes through the paper with his pencil.

" Morning. " I spoke.

"Huh? Morning doll." Jack rasped back.

"Is it safe for me to call you my fiance ?" I joked sitting up next to him.

"If it's safe for me to put a bullet in your head." He replied and I gulped.

"No no no..I'm joking, Angel" He whispered as he kissed the side of my face, chuckling at my reaction.

"But I did not sign up for all that sweet sticky crap, I'm still me doll." He said as he turned his face to face mine as he moves a strand of hair behind my ear before moving back to his papers.

"What are you doing anyway?" I questioned him a few seconds later.

" I just can't seem to get this right, I'm trying to find a way to the island without passing by a night patrol. We need to attack the bank on the other side by Sandy Hook. We'd go by boats by the China Basin but there are five new patrol and strike zones. " He explained before rubbing his face with his hands.

"The Bats has been putting us in real hot water lately, after the turtle formation daily patrols he suggested to Gordon. Cops are basically everywhere! I know they're not a threat but if there's many of 'em they can distract you just enough for Bats to fly in." He continued and rested his head in his hand with his elbow on one knee.

I leaned over and took a look at the now disfigured blue prints he had laid in front of him. We sat there staring at them for a while before I shrugged.

"Do you have to?" I asked softly.

"Yeah Angel, how do you expect us to eat? Did you think I was gonna become some lame ass accountant or something?" He chuckled.

I swatted his arm then sighed.

"Fine..Have you ever gone airborne before?" I asked and I saw his eyes light up as he straightened his posture, moving his head away from his hands.

" You can fly in by jets this time..If you can get your hands on some." I explained.

" That's it! You're a genius, Angel! I always knew you had it in you! Heck, I think you could out rule me one day if you put your mind to it." He boomed and I grinned then started laughing at his reaction.

"Hey don't get your hopes up! I'm not planning on giving over the throne just yet! Besides, the title is earned. You'll have to do more than beat a few police formations doll." He continued.

"Don't worry, I'm not planning on stealing your throne just yet." I mimicked his word choice.

"Oh you better change that into an ever doll face! I'm gonna go try to see if I can get my hands on some jets from Riddler or Penguin." He spoke and with that he left.

After that the day went by relatively quick. Jack made a few calls, he tried to get a good bargain with Oswald but he just didn't want to hear it. Luckily though Enigma said he could try to get his hands on some jets for him and that he was coming over to discuss it tonight.

At around 7:00 pm I got quiet hungry. I made my way to the kitchen and found almost nothing in the fridge. I told Jack that I was gonna go into town and get some groceries and he told me I could take one of the cars. I got dressed and went into the garage and decided to take the old Opel that sat in the back to avoid drawing any attention to myself.