Batman To The Rescue

~ Chapter 34 ~

  It's been two days since I've begged Bruce to help us. I didn't get a reply for him and I was starting to lose hope. Maybe he really was just trying not to upset me. I was walking around the living room, that I never really leave anymore, and heading towards the book shelf to put back my book. Jack has been in bed every since and his health only seemed to decline. After placing the book back I headed to the bathroom upstairs. I turned on the light and then shut the door behind me. I stared at my reflection and I almost didn't recognise me. I looked sunken in my clothes and there were dark circles under my eyes. My eyes themselves looked different as well. My usually bright green shade was a darker one and my eyes looked really dull. My cheeks looked thinner than they were and I don't think I remember the last time I've properly eaten. My brown hair was also a darker shade because of the grease that has formed in it from not showering. 

I genuinely think I look almost as bad as Jack does. I decided to take a shower to at least attempt to wash away the signs of distress that were all over me. After that, I took off my clothes and ran the water then stepped in letting the warmth wash over me.

* Bruce's P.O.V * *2 days before*

 I had just came back from taking in Bane and helping the GCPD secure the roads, take in any remaining prisoners, that Bane had released, and bring the bridges back down. However, as soon as I reached the manor Alfred told me I had received a call from Eva. I felt a feeling of warmth and relief wash over me as soon as he spoke her name. It had been one hell of a month but hearing that she wanted to talk to me made me forget all about that. That feeling of relief was quickly washed away when Alfred mentioned to me that she needed help and that she was gonna be the one to call back because it's only safer that way. 

 I wondered if he had done something to her. Why else would she want to be the one to contact us if she wasn't scared he'd pick up instead? I didn't understand her when it came to him. She saw a good side in him like she always has with everyone she has met. She has too much hope in people and it worries me. She seems different when she talks about him. I've known her for years but when he's around she turns into a completely different person. I turned around in my chair and went to leave the Batcave, when the phone started ringing. Alfred had transferred the call.

 I picked the phone up and waited. I wasn't sure if it was going to be Eva answering, because maybe he found out she called. I waited for a few seconds before her voice came through the speaker. She sounded different, exhausted. I asked if she was okay even though I knew she wasn't. After that she began asking for my help. She started with asking me if she has ever meant anything to me to promise that I'd help her. 

 She told me afterwards that Joker had taken a drug that was killing him and that it was called Titan. She said she doesn't know who proposed the idea but that they were planning on taking over Gotham. She paused for a few seconds then started to beg me for my help again and I heard her breathing differ and her voice crack. She was about to cry and I didn't focus on anything else she was saying. After that I told her that I'd think it over and contact her and hung up.

I knew I had to help her because if I didn't she'd hate me forever, but I still had to find out more about this Titan compound first and the people behind it.

*Eva's P.O.V* *Present day*

 I had gotten out of the shower and it was 9PM. I grabbed my hair brush from our room and to my surprise Jack wasn't there. I headed down to the living room which had only the dim light that I was reading next to on. I made my way to the couch before the floor was freezing my feet off. I decided to go back to the room and grab some socks. We're near the end of December for crying out loud! As I made my way towards the stairs I noticed that something glistened near the dark corner next to the kitchen cabinet. I took a few steps away from the stairs before someone came forward and muffled my mouth while grabbing the back of my head. I gasped against their hand as they turned me around so that they were in the light.