Is This Goodbye?

~ Chapter 17 ~

" Bruce.."

It came out as less than a whisper.

He tried to bring hand up to my face but I swatted it away moving my face back.

"I never wanted you to find out this way.." He spoke.

"You have to know that if I would've told you before, I would've been putting you in so much danger."

"Say something." He added.

I moved my face back to face him as I raised my gaze to meet his. I looked into his eyes and as the compassionate eyes of my best friend. The one I had just reconciled with after years of standing on the side line. But there was something else. His eyes held an irregular softness and peace, a kind I for one know he never had. I brought a hand up to his cowl that was resting on the top of his head and gently pulled it back onto his face.

"Eva.." He started but I interrupted him by a shake of my head.

I put a gentle hand on the chest of his suit and gave him a slight push back so that I could pass but he wouldn't budge.

"You have to say something! Anything..." He pleaded.

"I have to go.." I finally croaked out as I pushed past him and started to walk away.

"Eva wait! That wasn't why I came here! You have to listen to me! Eva please!" He shouted after me but I ignored his cries as I made my way down the end of the road.

I just kept walking. I walked and walked until my feet were numb. I seemed to have lost sense of everything around me. I did turn around and look behind me a couple of times to check that no one was there. But Bruce had chosen not to follow me. I'm glad he didn't. He knew I needed some air. I looked up and found myself near the warehouse. So I picked up my pace and made my way through the trees to the place I now called home. I walked up to the door unlocking it and stepping inside to two figures on the couch. Jack and Enigma. As soon as I came through the door frame they both stood.

"Where have you been Angel? We were starting to worry, we were gonna go looking for you." Jack spoke as I walked towards him and he opened his arms as I hugged him.

I then moved over to Enigma and hugged him as well.

"He was starting to worry." He whispered into my ear as I smiled a little.

After pulling away from Enigma, they both sat down and awaited my response.

"The car broke down. I had to walk home." I explained.

"What? Which one did you take?!" Jack asked.

"The Opel. It was the most subtle." I replied.

"Oh, that old piece of tin never worked anyway! You should've asked me, Angel."

"Next time." I gave him a soft smile.

"No groceries ?" He asked and I looked down realizing that in the rush of it all I forgot my bags.

"Yeah, the whole street was closed down." I lied.

"Well.." Enigma spoke breaking the moment of silence.

"I was just about to skit outta here. I'll have them send the jet to the location tomorrow at dawn." He said to Jack as he stood up.

"Alright, you have a goodnight now Enigma." Jack replied and Enigma looked at me before walking towards me and giving me a hug.