thirteen

ARIES: "She needed a hero, so that's what she became."

A T H E N A

THE CLOCK TICKED like time was slipping through her finger's, yet the seconds created an illusion for the eternal minute. It had been about a week since Athena's malevolence stage. Her anger hasn't subsided, but she chose to focus on herself, no one else.

"It's been eight days already.  You guys still aren't talking?"  Malva pretended to jot down on her novel as their peers chatted amongst themselves.  The English teacher's epistolary habits resulted in the class forming into groups and summarizing the novels in letters by each character.   "Like no hooking up or anything?"

Malva got her schedule changed ever since she switched her elective to art; she never really explored her artistic quality, so it was one of those 'fuck it' moments.  She now had three classes with Athena, English being one of them.  Athena and Malva surreptitiously glanced to the side and saw Calum talking to Charlotte and some Sammy girl.  "I don't give a shit about him anymore."

"You're lying."  Malva tilted her head, her ginger hair was into a braid tossed to the side of her denim button up.  Athena rolled her eyes, she scribbled down some notes about the story onto a fresh piece of notebook paper before turning to Malva.  "Isn't he supposed to tutor you or something?"

"For fuck's sake," Athena muttered under her breath, she completely forgot that he was her fucking tutor.  The time still seemed to completely cease on Athena.  They still had forty minutes left, and English was always the slowest class for her.  "I'm getting better at Calculus though."

"What about you find another tutor?  I mean, there are many smart hot guys you don't know about."  Malva tapped her brown wedged boot onto the tiled floor as Athena kicked her black Vans against the desk, her hoodie failed to fully keep her warm.  "Like Blake for example."

"Blake Richmond?  That guy is every girl's dream."  Athena and Malva shifted their sight to the black-haired boy who was sitting on a desk, he winked at Athena once he caught them staring. 

"Damn he is gorgeous."  Malva swooned as her emerald green eyes brightened at the sight of him.  Blake Richmond was the wide receiver of the football team, he and the quarterback always managed to charm every girl in the fucking school. 

"You have a boyfriend."  Athena laughed while shoving Malva's shoulder.  Pushing on the top of her pencil to obtain more lead, Athena managed to complete the assignment within ten minutes.

"But you don't."  Malva lightly pushed Athena back as she jabbed a finger towards Blake.  "Talk to him."

"No," Athena hissed while she grabbed Malva's hand, not wanting to attract any attention from Blake.  Malva cupped her mouth, obnoxiously attracting attention from Blake.

"Hey, Blake!"  Malva whisper-yelled at him, Athena cupped Malva's mouth while sending a glare to make Blake back off (even though she didn't really want Blake to go away.  She just was tired of the male population at the moment).

"Look, I know you punched my brother and all and he didn't fight back.  But I will not hesitate to bash your face in, Malva."  Athena pinched Malva before they both sat down on the plastic chairs.

"You and Michael are mad at each other, yet you both still refer to each other as siblings?  Honestly, he is the fuck up here.  You should punch his face too.  It finally felt good to be bad for once."  Malva picked at her lilac nail polish while Athena scoffed, she combed her fingers through her straight black hair before looking up to Malva.

"Punching someone isn't bad, Malva."  Athena laughed at her friend, Malva has really developed when it came to speaking her mind out.  She wasn't necessarily there yet, but she was close.