Chapter 9~ Last Free Night

Tris POV
Tomorrow is out first day of college. It's scary.. truly it is. Time flew by and it's already the night before we go.

"We should go clubbing." Chris suggests. We're all gathered at our place, and thinking of things to do.

"What if we drink too much. We can't be hung-over on the first day of college." Will tells her. "Speak for yourself." Zeke says and we all know he could totally show up to college hammered.

"How about dancing. I mean we could still drink, but not as much." Marlene suggests. "We'd still end up drunk." Zeke says. "You'll get drunk with anything we do." Marlene shoots back and Tobias laughs beside me.

"They set up an Amusement park a few miles from here." Uriah pipes in.

"What do you guys think?? Four? Tris?" Zeke asks. Shauna's not here because she was getting bad back pains. Zeke offered to stay but his mother came over- Zeke and Uriah's mother loves both Shauna and Marlene like her own daughters.

"Sounds fun." I answer and now we wait for Four. "I'm good with it."He says. I know there's an issue with it, but he can't say that.

"Amusement park it is!" Uriah says and we get up. As the noise level grows, I pull Tobias to the side.

"You sure?" "I'll be fine." He shrugs it off like nothing. I roll my eyes, knowing it's more than nothing.

The girls and I go to the bathroom and bedroom to change and get ready, while the boys get in a round of video games.

We each wear a comfortable sun dress which we'll bring jackets with. The girls forced me into make up, and I didn't have time to wash it all off.

We walk out and the boys are literally killing each other on the screen. From them, there are shouts and laughs. It's like being in a room full of kindergarteners, with advanced video gaming skills.

"You guys ready?" Marlene asks and they don't even turn around.

"Uriah!" She shouts at him, and he answers with a pitiful 'yeah'

I walk over to Tobias and whisper something in his ear, something I know he'll respond to. "Really?" He asks turning his face to me. I laugh and get him to turn it off.

"Come on." Chris says walking out. Tobias grabs his leather jacket and I grab hold of his hand. He squeezes it lightly and we leave last.

"Were you just trying to get my attention back there, or were you serious?" He asks as we get in our car.

"That's for me to know, and for you to find out." I say smirking and he rolls his eyes.

He turns the radio on, and I watch the very last of the sun leave the sky as we drive. Luckily it's not too far away, Only a few blocks from here. Tobias parks next to Zeke's car and we get out, holding each other's hands again.

In the darkness of the oncoming night, the colorful lights pop more than usual. "What should we do first?" Uriah asks once we get out tickets.

"Where's Chris and will?" I ask and we look around but they aren't here. "I saw her car." Marlene says and I smile, realizing that she must've run off with will.

"Let's just go off separately, and meet back here later." Tobias suggests and that's what we do.

It's not as crowded as I thought I'd be, which makes it easier to walk around. "What do you want to do first?" I ask. "That's up to you." He says looking at me.

I rest my head on his shoulder as we continue to walk and a question comes to me. One that I don't honestly know if he'll answer but I'll give it a shot. "Can I ask you something?" I ask.

"Sure." He replies with a smile. "You don't have to answer it, but what happened to your mom?" I question.

He sighs, looking down at his feet. "Umm, she left." Tobias says rubbing the back of his neck with his free hand.

"Oh." Is all I can say. "Why?" I ask, and know that I'm probably pressing too hard.

"Don't know. She left when I was six, leaving me with my father." He says and we find a small bench to sit on.

"I remember her tucking me in the night before, like she always would. And then the next morning, she wasn't there." Tobias says and he doesn't look up.

"It wasn't till the end of the week I finally realized that she was never coming back." He adds and the pain pours into his words.

"I'm sorry." I say, about what happened to him but also about asking. "It's fine." He lies.

We sit there in silence for a moment, till he speaks up. "I think we could use a Ferris Wheel ride." He says and I laugh. "Really?" "Of course!" He says and I smile. We get up and walk over to the now very bright lit Ferris Wheel.

We get in a red seat and wait for it to start. "You sure about this?" I ask. "It's too late now isn't it." He jokes as the ride begins.

"You took me on one of these for our very first date." I say resting my head against him, and he wraps his arms around me.

"Yes I did." Tobias says kissing the top of my head.

"I love you." I whisper and look up at him, and I find that he's already looking down at me.

"I love you too." He says and I close my eyes.

"Chapter 11" His voice fills my mind, making a smile appear on my face.

"It wasn't like any other day. It was better, much better."

"He opened his eyes and she was there. Wrapped tightly in his embrace, warming his body and soul."

"Now that they lived together, he'd be able to wake to her every morning. Not wait till school, or sneak to her house every night to see her." Tobias's soothing voice reads.

"Now her eyes would be the first thing he'd see and she'd always be there when he awoke."

"That's what he wanted, ever wanted. And now it was possible." Tobias says and it makes me love him more and more.