Chapter 23~ Lights in the Dark

Tris's POV

"Tobias, have you seen my-- oh never mind, I found it!" I call. I'm in our bedroom packing, Tobias is waiting in the living room, He finished packing a half hour ago.

"Do you need help in here babe?" Tobias asks, walking into the bedroom with a smirk plastered on his face.

"No I do not, I'm almost done." I tell him, folding my last shirt and tucking it nicely into the suitcase.

"You know that our flight leaves in an hour right? And we still have to get to the--"

"Yes I know. But look, I'm done. I'm ready!" I say turning to face him.

I'm met with his soft lips touching mine, his arms wrapping around my waist. Bringing me closer to him.

I'm the one to pull back first, but not too far. "We can continue this when we get to California ok." I say, with a smirk of my own. I walk off with my suitcase, and turn laughing when Tobias playfully slaps my butt on the way out.

****

"Just shut the shade, or let me sit there." I tell Tobias, who's getting freaked out but insists on sitting by the window.

He finally shuts it and I can sit back down.

"Are you excited?" I ask, leaning my head back in the seat.

"Yeah, and I'm excited that'll be something we can experience together." Tobias tells me, making me lean over to peck his cheek.

"What's something you've always to do?" Tobias asks, and I tilt my head to look at him.

I ponder the question for a moment, before responding. "I don't really know." I say honestly.

"I like the randomness of life, ya know. How life just takes you and never quite know what's going to happen." I say, leaning my head on his shoulder.

"I think I'm the opposite of you in that sense, I've never liked that about life." Tobias says, his fingers rubbing up and down my arm.

"I like to know what's going to happen, I don't like to leave things up to chance." He adds, and I nod understandingly.

"Well, you know what they say. Opposites attract." I say, feeling the soft press of Tobias's lips against the top of my head.

******

"Babe, babe wake up." I say, shaking Tobias's shoulder.

"We're here, wake up babe." I say again, finally having him open his eyes.

I woke up a little while ago, and just laid with Tobias-as much as I could with these seats and all. But sometimes I just like taking in his sleeping form, how peaceful he sleeps and the younger he looks.

"When did you wake up?" Tobias asks, his voice groggy and sleep present in the lowness of his words.

"Just a little bit ago, but I didn't want to wake you till I had to." I say, as we stand. Stretching our tired necks and backs, then grabbing our carry on bags.

A half hour later, we're at the hotel. Finally. It's a big enough hotel for just the two of us, and it's beautiful in a simple way.

The bedroom is a sea foam green color, with white lace curtains. The bed is a large, simple white, with a tan headboard. The bathroom is a light grey and the shower doors are clear.

There's a large window in the living room area, where you can see not only the city but the ocean.

It's night right now, so it's hard to see the waves. But all the lights of this big city are shinning.

"The views great isn't it?" I ask a very tired Tobias.

He wraps an arm around my waist, and pulls me closer to him. "Yeah. It is." Tobias says, gazing at it all just like me.

"Time for bed babe?" I ask, walking off into the bedroom. Grabbing something to change into from my suitcase- well really both mine and Tobias's. Since I like to wear his shirts to bed.

Tobias comes in and strips down to his black boxers. Going shirtless, with his dog tags hanging from his neck.

I join him in the soft bed, pulling my hair up and out of my face.

"Come here." Tobias says, opening his arms for me to curl into.

And that's what I do. Feeling his warmth penetrating into me, and his arms holding onto me tightly. Making me feel safe and loved.

"Chapter Twelve."

"People didn't understand, and for that they began to tease her. Sending hurtful words her way. He had to watch her get beat upon for something he wanted. For something he asked her for."

Tobias's warm breath hits the back of my ear, while he reads. Which he hasn't done for such a long time.

"He tried to cheer her up, or help her to ignore them. But their words hurt her too much."

"All he wanted was to protect her, keep her safe. And maybe he could if there were ever a physical threat, but when it came to words... their powers were harder to stop."

"He tried to find a way to let her know that he was still there for her, no matter what. That this wouldn't last forever, and that through it all. Through all the meanness, and all the hateful words... he'd be her constant. Her never failing support system."

"And he was." I whisper, once Tobias stops reading. And I can feel the edges of his lips turn upward, smiling.

Tobias will always be my support system. My constant, my rock. My never ending love.