Chapter 18~ Fake Father Figure

Tobias POV
"Beeeeeeeeeeep." That there is my father flat lining. But only because I turned off his life support. I figured he never supported my life, so why should he have a machine that's doing that for him.

I back away from the machine and his bedside, taking one last look at the man people call my father. The man who almost murdered me as a child... making everyday a living hell.

Now it's him who's in hell. The real hell.

I wake with a jolt, looking around at the still darkened bedroom and Tris still asleep beside me. I lay my head back down on the pillow and Tris snuggles back into my embrace. But my dream doesn't leave me.

I had agreed to visit him tomorrow-- well now today since it's two am. I don't really know why I agreed, but I did. Maybe it's the small sliver of my heart that knows no matter what he is my father. That shouldn't matter with all he's done to me but I can't back out now.

"You okay?" Tris asks, sleep trailing in her voice. "Yeah." I lie.

"Is it about seeing him today?" She asks, propping herself up on her elbows.

"How'd you know?" I ask tucking a strand of her hair that had fallen out of her messy bun behind her ear.

"Lucky guess." She says blankly. "I'm kidding. I knew it would affect you at some point. Whether before or after. Or both." Tris adds.

I nod. "In my dream--" I sigh. "I turned his life support off, and watched him die due to my actions." I tell her.

She looks at me for a moment, searching my eyes. "What'd you feel when you did that?"

"Relief. Redemption." I say.

"What'd you feel when you saw he was gone?" Tris asks.

"Freedom. I'm away from him but that was the last piece of the chain holding me back to my old life." I tell her, and watch as she looks at me with love and empathy. But not looking at me like I'm wounded.

"Babe, can I ask something of you?" Tris asks and I nod.

"Don't do that tomorrow. Because it would be murder, and I don't want you to make a choice that would get you locked up." She says.

I laugh lightly, "I won't." I say and she lays back down. I wrap her in my arms, holding her small body close to mine.

"Promise me." Tris whispers. I'm quiet for a moment... Can I really make that promise??

"I promise."

****

"Yeah, she's on bed rest. So we're going to have a girl movie day." Tris says as we're both getting ready but going different places.

Shauna is due really any day, and both her and Zeke are anxious to meet their little girl.

"Well I shouldn't be there more than an hour. Hopefully I don't have to be there that long, but who knows." I say, and Tris comes and kisses my cheek.

She looks cute today in black sweatpants and a green tank top. Her make up is simple and her hair up in a messy bun.

"Okay. Well I think Zeke's going to be at the house just in a different room. So you can come over later when you're done at the hospital." Tris says.

"Okay. I love you." I say kissing her lips this time.

"I love you too." She says and I walk out the door. Bracing myself for what I'm about to go and do.

****

I knock on the wooden door with a metal piece reading 703- for his room number.

"It's open." A low voice says. I open the door and shut it behind me, locking it-which I'm not supposed to do.

I walk to the other side of the curtain where I can now see Marcus, and he can now see me.

"Tobias.." He breathes. "Oh save the sentimental bull shit Marcus." I spit, not in the mood for his mask.

"Why did you want to see me?" I ask. "Because i'm dying and you're my son." He says like it's obvious. Because of course, the child who got beat everyday by his father would definitely want to go visit him before he passes.

"Why should I even care? You never cared about me or my life. My well being. Why should I care about yours?" I say.

"Tobias, I know I've made some mistakes." Marcus says and I can see his struggle to speak.

He has bandages all over, some soaked with dark crimson blood and other clear and white.

"You're damn right." I say. "But you have to forgive me." He says.

"I don't have to do anything Father." I say as if that last word is venom.

"You forgave your mother, what's the difference?"

"You really are delusional aren't you?? It took everything to let her back into my life. And me forgiving her... is my business. But forgiving her was different because she never beat me. She never almost killed me." I say.

I'm walking to the left side of his bed, stepping closer to both him and his life support machine.

"I'm sorry Tobias. I really am." Marcus pleads. "Somehow... I don't believe you." I tell him.

"You ruined me. You broke me. And as much I try to put myself back together, I'm always going to be broken." I say closing my eyes, and my finger feeling the cold metal button to turn on and off his life support.

"Promise me."  Tris's words echo in my mind as I'm about to press the button.

"I hope you burn in hell Marcus." I spit, opening my eyes and taking my finger off the thing standing between Marcus's life and death.

I walk to the door, unlocking it and pausing for a moment. Contemplating whether to look back one last time... but I choose to walk out. Not looking back.

Marcus died later that day due to an infection in one of his stab wounds. My father gone and out of my life. And hopefully burning harshly down in hell.

A/N:
Finally an update! So sorry for the wait... I've been struggling health wise and school wise and haven't been able to write. But here I am!! :) Any way I know some of you already answered this.. But for my next new book (which I will hopefully begin posting before Christmas) do you want a fourtris story or Sheo?? Comment or private message me! Thanks and hope you liked the chapter!