Chapter 24~ Coast of Cali

Tobias's POV

I wake to a new kind of sunlight floating in through the window, and a warmth from the sun I've missed.

Tris is still asleep in my arms, her eyes shut and her breaths steady. I read to her last night, something I haven't done in a long time. I still write the chapters down, something she probably doesn't know that I do.

I like to write it all down, and in a form that's more story like.

"What are you thinking about?" I hear Tris's voice asks softly, I look down, seeing that my girl's awake.

"You." I say, kissing her forehead.

I catch her smiling softly to herself, before snuggling closer to me.

"What are we doing today?" She asks, her voice muffled by my chest.

"I don't know. I thought maybe going to the beach today, if you're up to it." I say, looing at the bright sun floating in through the lace curtains.

"That sounds nice, and that way I could get some sun." Tris says, making me roll my eyes.

"You're such a girl." I say, and she sits up. Leaning on her right elbow, looking at me. Her hair flowing the right, and she's smirking.

"Yeah, but you love it." Tris teases, making me get a smirk of my own.

"That is true." I say before she kisses me lightly on the lips, and gets out of bed.

"Can I join you?" I call out, knowing she's going to shower and get ready.

"Sure. In your dreams."

****

"Are you sure you should wear that one?" I ask, rubbing sunscreen on Tris's back, where she can't reach. She wants to tan, but knows she can burn easily too.

"What's wrong with this one?" Tris questions, sucking on a lollipop, which is turning her tongue a pink color.

"It's um, a bit showy." I say, finishing and she turns to look at me.

She's wearing a vibrant red bikini, and I'm in black swim trunks.

"You bought this swim suit for me Tobias." She says pulling her lollipop out to talk, and places a hand on her hip- annoyed.

"I know, and you look great in it!" I say, getting the same annoyed reaction from her.

"But there's other men on the beach, Californian men." I say.

"What's that supposed to mean? That they'll stare more, that they're more perverted??" Tris asks, throwing out her candy's stick.

"Well.. um.. I.." I say scratching my head.

"Tobias, relax okay. You'll be there with me, and we both know that no man is getting close to me when you're here right?" Tris asks, and I nod. Tris kisses my cheek, leaving the area warm and bubbly after she leaves.

"Okay, so let's go." She says, grabbing her towel and bag, heading for the door.

We get to the beach within ten minutes, and Tris practically jumps out of the car when we park.

"Come on, come on!" She squeals, looking at the beautiful beach in awe.

"I'm coming Tris, give me a sec." I say, grabbing our bags and towels out of the truck.

I spot Tris and we sent up our spot. "Let's go in the water babe!" Tris says, grabbing my hand, running toward the sparkling blue ocean.

I smile and even start to laugh a bit at all her excitement.

We get into the water, the coldness chilling us both. Making Tris squeal as I plunge her under.

I don't know how many hours we spend swimming, and just laughing together in the water.

We make our way to our towels as the sun begins to set, pink and orange replacing the blue.

"I had a really great day Tobias." Tris says, looking up at me. We're sitting on my towel, Tris sitting in-between my legs leaning her head against my chest. And my arms wrapped around her.

"I did too." I say leaning down to kiss her. Her lips meeting mine and the feeling of excitement and butterflies never die. After all this time with her you'd think it would get less and less each time, but it doesn't. Just like my love for her, it never fades.

I pull back, staring down into her eyes. Today they stand out a bit more, because she isn't wearing any make-up. I know make up's supposed to enhance her features, but she honestly doesn't need it. Her eyes stand on their own.

"You're wearing your lip balm aren't you?" I question, smirking.

"I might be." Tris answers, biting her lip slightly.

And that's how we end the night, sitting together on the beach watching the sun go down. And the taste of cherry left on my lips.