ONE: LONESOME DOVE

[one]

No wolf really knew how to cope with the loss of innocence. It was granted only to be given to the one deemed fit to live as your companion for eternity. If only I had been given the chance to be claimed before mine was lost.

I lay on the forest floor looking up at the beautiful moon. I harbor no resentment for the Goddess. As my mother once told me the Goddess would never give me more than I can bear. Sometimes that comforts me to know that the Goddess chose me so that others may not suffer. It gives me purpose. It gives my wolf purpose. It is this purpose that is our life now. We live and breathe to serve. I would have it no other way.

I sit up still admiring the shimmering orb. I wonder why the Goddess uses this as her symbol. It seems so lonely to me. Though the stars shine bright and great in number. This one sphere shall have no other kind to match, no other in size to compare.

I bring my chin to my bent knee squishing my toes together as I feel the cool earth on my skin. I breathe in the many fresh scents of nature. No matter what I shall worship the moon and respect it for its resilience and unwavering strength in solitude. I must learn its ways for I am to be alone too, though I do not wish it on my worst enemy.I close my eyes and take one final breath.

I cast a quick glance to Alana, she is an interesting woman with a wonderful but quiet spirit to her.She is a nice complement to my evenings at times but she never says anything to me and I don't bother her for any words.Whatever her reasons I shall respect them.She is fond of staring too.

She was leaning against an adjacent tree fumbling with her fingers in one long continuous pattern,one after the other,going round and round.It made one dizzy if they looked for too long.I smile in her direction though she can't see me.

I stand and begin my quiet walk back to the main housing of the pack noting Alana's slow but sure steps from behind me.I mind her pace for her bones are weak.I can read it in her face when she grimaces, when I would take her elbow for support she would straighten up immediately and give me this wide eyed expression. I guess it was her way of telling me that she was strong enough though she didn't look it.

Most have retired but our warriors still remain on patrol constantly awaiting danger from lone wolves driven mad by all kinds of afflictions one can only imagine.There are always restless spirits around,somewhere,hiding.

I know it is dangerous but I must remain with the moon to study her strength and cherish her. That's what I was doing that night when everything changed. I am closer to the moon than I was before, yes, I am closer.

The leaves crunch under my feet as I draw closer to the sounds of the pack. I am seen but never heard. My word is useless some say. I say they are wrong. But I bide my time just like the moon to shine at the most unexpected time. I have yet to blossom and I shall wait for now, however long it may be.

I hear the pack's rumbles grow closer as each tends to their needs whatever it be.A small fire burns in the middle of the clearing, a soft glow lightening the old woman's features.Her grey hair in a wispy waves, falling over her eyes like a thin veil but her eyes dart in every direction, black as night.I doubt much escapes her wandering eye.

I leave Alana to wander on.Her fingers having stopped their work and with a subtle nod she bids me farewell.I will see her again tomorrow, if she still lives that is.

I walk a little more before colliding with someone. I apologize profusely before being shoved away, probably in a rush to attend to better things.

I keep on hoping to pay better attention next time.

The wind picks up leaving my skin tingling. My walk turns to a jog as I hasten my steps towards my little home. I open the door and stare one more time at the moon. Things shall only become better I remind myself.

With the moon to guide me

"Rise Up" by Andra Day

THIS IS AN UNEDITED DRAFT.THANK YOU FOR READING.