SEVENTEEN: REGRESS

[seventeen]

I stood in the bedroom of Gideon's home,my home. The embers of the fireplace were crackling softly. I smiled, it reminded me of my shack.

The bed was in the center and a window lay to the left. The curtain blew softly as it was open. The room was dark except for the fire and the moonlight streaming.

The floor was a dark wood as the bed frame. I felt it each piece of furniture,smoothly finished as if made by hand.

The bathroom was modern with a double vanity, a large tub and shower but no mirrors, only a mural.

The mural was of the territory. Intrigued by the depiction,I pressed my hand against following the lines of the mountain, outlining the sky. The lagoon, still beside the large boulder and the hills of grass. I stopped when I spotted two wolf forms, sitting side by side on their hind legs, one black and one brown staring off into the distance. It was us.

I went back to the room. I removed the wreath from my head and placed it on the mantlepiece. I noticed a small black box beside it. It had a small satin ribbon tied around it. It wasn't here before when I first inspected the room.

I picked it up and shook it, placing it beside my ear. I then opened it to reveal a sharp bronze knife. It was short for close contact strikes. I spun around in my nimble fingers, maneuvering it. It felt light, it felt good in my hands.

I felt a familiar rush of air. I wondered why he was in the habit of doing so, he could walk. I wouldn't ask him to refrain though, it was something that no other wolf did to me. I was getting used to it.

"It's for your protection, if you want." he said.

"Thank you." I said, still mesmerized by the gift. I hadn't given him anything in return. I was grateful for it. I had to admit I did feel bare without one. He listened to me.

I placed it back in the box and rested it beside my wreath, before looking up at him. He was close but I couldn't find it in me to be nervous, we were becoming one. We inhabited each other's bodies and as time would pass we would know each other's intentions, wishes though not spoken we would sense it.

He nodded at me before moving away and began undressing himself behind one of two dressing walls. I went behind the other and swiftly lifted the dress over my head. I placed it on a hanger before reaching out my arm towards the nearest dresser. I opened it not really knowing where my clothes were but grabbed what I felt under my hand.

The room became darker until only lit by the moon. The embers had been extinguished.

It was a shirt, Gideon's shirt. I shrugged it on and stepped out from behind the dressing wall.

I pulled over the comforter of the bed and swiped my hand over the sheets. They were soft. I then slipped in and rested my head on the pillow. I felt the bed dip, so I turned to see Gideon's shirtless form in the process of getting in. With the little light in the room, I properly observed his markings. There were more than I had ever seen before covering his chest and back. The little space left on his body, were his arms adorned by our marriage inkings.

I shifted to my side facing him and closed my eyes.I fell asleep having felt the slightest touch on my cheek.

+

It was late in the day before I awoke again.

I removed his shirt and folded it, placing it on top of a chair. I could hear him working on something in another part of the house.