FOURTEEN: CLARITY[PART ONE]

[fourteen]

He wanted me.

The room became quite boisterous as emotions switched to relief and pride.

"That means I'm next. Couldn't  have come any quicker." Brian swept a hand across his brow for dramatic purposes.

"You're only fifteen,don't get your hopes up." Olivia said beaming as she grabbed me.

Eric clapped Gideon's back as the men departed to another part of the house.

Olivia,Eva and Jana all looked at each other before staring at me curiously. They began to whisper excitedly to each other. I caught pieces of their conversation. Most of it centered around the wedding. Eva wondered how I had managed to pull his head from his rear end so quick and Olivia wondered if we had mated yet, my appearance was questionable.

But Jana she wanted to know what I thought about all this.

"I am grateful. The Goddess has blessed me with a clear future. One of responsibility,duty and family." I explained. That was all I needed. Gideon and I were to be responsible to each other and the pack. Simple.

"What about love?" She asked.

I paused.

I loved my parents like a daughter should. I loved Tom and Jack like a mother should. I loved Olivia like a sister should. But I never loved Ben, not like a mate should.

I had never loved a man and I didn't know if I could. But I could respect a man and that went a long way.

I could never lie to her. This was her son. If I respected him, I respected her.

"I don't know." I replied almost hushed. I felt ashamed, love and compassion were the most natural things that came with bonding with any living thing,wolf or not. But my life had become anything but natural. All the people I loved had been separated from me. Olivia for a time but I did not have her to myself.

I was never jealous, I just felt unworthy of it.

"I'm glad that you will be the one to teach him how." She smiled softly as if she recognized something in me.

I was surprised by this. She found no absurdity in my response but faith.

I guaranteed her nothing but everything with my words.

Olivia led me upstairs to a spare bedroom. This was Eva and John's home while Olivia and Eric occupied the house on the right; Jana and Richard on the left.

The bedroom had clothes scattered everywhere.

"You'll be staying here before the wedding." Olivia said. "All of us will." I didn't think Gideon would. You didn't build a place like his own just to abandon it for a couple nights.

I nodded my understanding before hugging her fiercely. I hugged my sister, the sister that I loved.

She began folding while I tried on the clothes. She knew me so well, at least the part I cared to share with her.

We finished quickly before I settled on a pair of fitted trousers, jeans she called them and a blouse.

She then braided my hair.

"Did anyone see you guys?" She asked.

"Yes, we were confronted by a group along the southwest border. They immediately sensed my presence. Gideon was able to ward them off for now,why?" I replied.

Their behavior was not abnormal.

"That's what I feared. Maya, Gideon was chosen for this position when he assumed it. The original Beta bloodline had dried up resulting in a vacancy. This is the first time in this pack's history that this has had to occur, at least in recent history. The elders were confident in Eric's choice but other members,native members don't hold that same opinion. Gideon can be challenged for his position until he produces a bloodline of his own, having a mate and showing the potential of a bloodline would diminish the prospects of a challenge." She trailed off at the end. She had finished the braid so I turned to her.

"Is that really why I'm here?" I asked.

"Partly, you're the only one that I believe can tame his beast." She said.

"We all have wolves, Olivia." I countered. I knew her train of thought and it was dangerous.

"His wolf will eventually self-destruct. Eric knows this too. His mother is especially worried herself as she is the only other person that knows why his wolf became like this." She said.

I saw it in her eyes. Olivia was afraid,afraid for her family.

I understood why there were clouds in his eyes, not specifically, but only a violent traumatic experience could bring forth such a storm, such a rage. I knew.

"Is that why everyone runs from him?" I asked.

She nodded her head fervently.

"They can feel his intensity,his darkness. At first, I was afraid myself but our wolves have developed a trust. I'm his superior, he would never willingly attack me. He loves Eric like a brother, me a sister. But even bonds such as our own can be severed." She said.

"You believe only a mate can tame this." I stated. "Mates are chosen,Olivia, it is not unheard of for the human and wolf to disagree and eventually the abuse sets in." It was a sad fact about our lives.

She looked up at me, "Why do you think your father demanded marriage?"

"He knew."

"No,but he suspected. No one walks around unnoticed with an aura like that." She said.

A marriage not only includes marking but the sharing of blood. Blood, the definitive symbol of our culture. It is sacred, it is absolute. If he kills me, he kills himself. Marriage wasn't often embarked upon for the sake of children, in case one parent didn't live to raise them.

"Were you ever afraid of him?" She asked me quietly.

"No,I never was and I still feel that way,Olivia." We locked eyes, our silent treaty sealed. He intrigued my wolf and I more than anything. There was a recognition, a familiarity that went so deep that it often went undetected.

"I would never have asked this of you if I couldn't trust Gideon himself. A loveless life makes any wolf go crazy. You have so much love,Maya, I just want you to share it with him." She hugged me as she said those words.

I had a purpose, I needed to save Gideon and maybe, just maybe, I could save myself.

THIS IS AN UNEDITED DRAFT.THANK YOU FOR READING.