TWO: THE DAMNED

[two]

       I was squeezing my eyes so hard even in the darkness a harsh light tore at my eyes.I was kneeling,my back exposed.All their voices merging into one adding my confusion,to my daze.

       A thin and sharp sound split my ears before the source,the whip split my flesh.I tried to stay quiet,maybe they would leave me alone then.There was no mercy for those who broke the law.

       My back arched as a second blow worked to bring me to tears, I could already feel them rising.My throat remained tight as I breathed in very little air,I needed my strength to survive this. I screamed in agony as a third strike came down to dig deeper in my flesh.They wanted me to suffer more. My hands shook from the nervousness, whatever pain that was intended for me was only just beginning and yet I was shaking about to fall down.

       I could feel my wolf pushing to help heal, to help replace carry my pain but it wasn't enough.She wasn't quick enough as a litany of blows throwing me into a wretched state of helplessness. I could feel my strength leaving me, as I wavered and with a small thud lay twitching in the grass. I mumbled words, I couldn't detect myself.

       Something heavy pressed down on my shoulder,digging in that one spot.

       "You won't heal any further than this.I want you to remember what this is like." he said, his voice a hard stifling any intentions of my wolf, of my body, as I bled out once again.I was always bleeding.

~

       I stirred the steaming cauldron over the fire in my abode. The wooden floors creaked under my steps. I had gotten used to it over the years, not minding the noise as there never was much around me unless the children came.

      I was brewing a hot, therapeutic soup for one of the pregnant warrior females of our pack. Her morning sickness had passed but she still felt nauseous from time to time. This soup would shock her senses and help her remain lucid. Her bump was very round and her scent was very strong. A warning to other wolves of her predicament. Her mate seemed pleased by their pup. Not many children were born during the winter months but this one surely, if she could carry it to term.

      The sunlight from the single window of my abode adorned my face with rays of light. It was now time for the sun to shine.

      I sipped a bit of it from the ladle and concluded that it was ready. Definitely bitter but healthy. I poured some in a bowl which would keep it warm until I reach their home. They were no functioning lights as I was not privileged to have such luxury but I did not mind. My time here helped me adjust, chopping wood and tending the garden helped distract me from the trials of the day and prepared me for the solace of the night.

     I brought down my cot to make space in case the children made an impromptu visit. I doubt they wished to venture outside for their visit here but I was prepared. I had to be prepared for anything with the little ones.

      I closed my door and began my trek towards the warrior's abode. Her name was Elaine and her mate was Nathan. Elaine was not born here and was claimed at one of the gatherings we had with other packs. She was a fierce woman with lethal grace. I had never witnessed her in action in the Pits but from the murmurs of pack members she was held in high regard.

      She was however petite compared to Nathan, a burly man of an intimidating size to most. Like most men of our pack he followed tradition effortlessly. Affection was not something often publicly displayed but from my visits to my home, they respected each other. My parents held that same respect for each other but my father definitely remained the dominant one in their relationship. My mother never seemed to mind. It was once our dynamic but it would not remain so forever.