TWENTY-EIGHT: INCEPTION

[twenty-eight]

"What's your name?" I asked softly giving her a small smile for courage. It was true they all had my features. It was sickening the thought.

"Sarah." she sniffled.

"Beautiful name, a strong name. Thank you and I am sorry for putting you through this." my voice cracked at the end but I cleared my throat and stood from the bed. "Get some rest." I kissed her forehead and walked towards the door.

I placed my hand on the knob.

"I want to be like you." she said.

I didn't turn around, I just closed my eyes choosing my words carefully.

"I appreciate the thought but it is surely a blessing for our race that I was only born once. The Goddess made you for a reason, don't wish for things you don't understand. You may live a life better than you know. Sleep well, Sarah."

I closed the door to find Gideon leaning against the wall. I couldn't look at him.

"What did you find?" I asked returning to a more reserved demeanor.

"There are quite a number of bodies. Eric didn't want to kill them all." He seemed to be annoyed by that fact. "We managed to find one who could talk. He hadn't been bonded yet." He must still have his wits about him. I felt like I was about to lose mine.

I nodded my understanding. "Where is he?"

"Tied up. We were waiting for you."

I nodded my head again before turning away to exit the building. He followed after me closely but didn't ask anything. I was grateful for once how oblivious Gideon could be at times or so I thought.

"What are you doing on my land?" Alpha Sam asked him as I approached.

He was tied to the post, bloodied and bruised. He spat blood at her feet, making her growl at his defiance. He checked his blackened nails seeming almost bored by the whole affair. His face was marred with creases showing age and stress. He was older than all of us here.

Eric chuckled but was quickly silenced by Olivia's sharp look. She gave me a small smile. I acknowledged it but didn't reciprocate.

"May I, Alpha?" I stepped forward but the rogue remained attentive towards his fingers.

"Do you know a wolf by the name of Jensen?" I asked getting straight to the point. He scoffed at my inquiry but disbelief covered his features when his eyes narrowed on my face.

"You're the bitch he's been looking for all this time." he exclaimed pointing his finger.

Gideon immediately snarled and clutched his neck. Raising him up and dangling his body several feet in the air.

Alpha Sam raised a brow at his antics but she didn't comment.

I remained in my position unfazed by what was enfolding. "Call me, what you may but all I request is your knowledge."

Gideon dropped him like a sac, as he wheezed for air, spitting up more blood and shifting away from Gideon.

"What do I get in return?" he breathed out having controlled his coughing fit.

"That will only be determined by how useful your information is to us." I sharpened my gaze on him. I pitied him to actually believe that anyone in the company of that monster could ever have their life spared.

He looked at me before nodding his head, conceding. "I'll give you what you want. I never liked the bastard, might as well damn him while I still have my life." He glanced nervously at Gideon.

"The coward made a deal with the Master not wanting to fight. Not that he would have won."

"What's his real name?" I interrogated.

"Damon, son of Craig." he rubbed his neck cursing, " His father started this whole business of forcing bonds on wolves. He tried it on a pack once, didn't turn out as well as he planned." He said it so casually as if it were conducted in a civilized manner.

Gideon moved forward and struck him with such force, a crack resounded. He screamed and cursed, struggling under the weight of Gideon's foot on his shoulder.

"We still need him alive Gideon." Eric cautioned.

Gideon pressed hard before stepping off. That hit a nerve for Gideon.

I glanced at him but refrained from any sort of scolding. His presence was helpful, the threat of death was a necessary incentive for this rogue.

"Damon watched his father die and vowed to continue his legacy." he spat, " I only stayed because I didn't wanna die." he tilted his head in discomfort, " It doesn't seem like I got so far with that wish." his teeth and gums were soaked in blood as he smiled at his own humor.

"His father fell from grace, losing the Alpha rank for his bloodline, the details leave me now but he was seeking much more. He wanted to rule over all our kind. He found pack life trivial with nothing real to gain, bargaining with elders too bothered by outdated traditions. I never really liked the old geezers myself."

He coughed severely and rubbed his neck.

"He was able to deduce that a bond would consolidate his power. Craig's mistake was thinking he could carry the load by himself. By the looks of it, Damon knew better."

"He was looking for a mate." I added in.

The rogue raised his head, "Very correct." his tongue hung out as he breathed heavily.

"You've done well. You may keep your life," his expression morphed into one of joy " for now." his expression soured then, obviously disgruntled by the missed opportunity.

I turned to the others, "I suggest we discuss the rest elsewhere."

As I turned away he said,

"The name's Ronald, by the way." The name was just another thing to know about him of no consequence. " The kid sure did choose his mate well," I looked over my shoulder at him " the wife of the destroyer." his gaze flickered to Gideon before he let out a cackling laughter. I deduced he'd gone mad by that point.

I had underestimated Damon all those years ago. I was grateful that I now had the opportunity to give him the retribution he so deserved.

I'd swallowed all the bitterness and paid my dues in kindness to Jensen and all the others. They must have laughed at me; spat at my meager attempts to appease them, please them. They determined what I was worth and in the end treated me like dirt. It was time to dig myself up from that pit, that grave they'd thrown me into.Being wicked never crossed my mind before but some people just needed a little more convincing than others.

THIS IS AN UNEDITED DRAFT.THANK YOU FOR READING.