TWELVE: BREAKING FAST

[twelve]

      Before I could reach the door he held it open for me and I bent down under his arm, mumbling a thank you. I never mumbled,I think. The inside was lovely sporting a rich,dark design. I was afraid I might break something having lived a much smaller and bleaker existence but that was my home and I didn't mind it. This place would become my new home.

       He led me through a well-lit hallway before turning to enter the kitchen. It was well equipped,modern but I wasn't sure, everything was new to me.

      I dragged my hand across each surface before looking up to see Gideon waiting patiently for me. Patience was a good trait to have.

      I removed my hand and continued walking with him. We entered a large dining room,where everyone else was awaiting our arrival. They looked staring between us, warmly.

      Gideon pulled out a chair next to Olivia but across from his own for me. I sat down staring at the table. There were plates,glasses, and cutlery. I was so nervous to pick anything up. There was never any silver or copper for me to use to make a fork or spoon,not that the food I ate cited it as a necessity.

    I picked up the fork,trying to gage my familiarity in holding it. I did the same with the knife and spoon before being interrupted.

      "You haven't seen them before?" It was Brian asking, I'm sure it was on all their minds.

      I quickly put it down,embarrassed and surprised, but told him truthfully, " I have but it has been years since I used them. I had no resources to make my own. I have eaten with my hands for years." I laughed nervously at my admission.

      Silence.

       Gideon was watching me curiously. A new expression.

      "What the hell?" Eva exclaimed, "Olivia didn't tell me that!"

       They all knew I was coming.

       "She didn't know how I lived. All of our get togethers were in secret for the sake of her father." I defended. She smiled warmly at me while Eric gave her a kiss on the cheek.

       "The things I could do to those wolves. Just a few more years and John and I will be able to assume roles as elders. I'll get them for you." Eva continued.

       I was surprised we had merely just met and her concern for me was so strong.

        "Please don't let your goal be to find retribution, I'd rather forgive them. They had a culture that I desecrated. " damning words were always the most difficult, " I don't want to distract from this pack. I have a new life now, thanks to my sister."

      Olivia's eyes were glazed over with Eric comforting her.

     "That got emotional quickly." Brian grumbled.

      We began breakfast. My handling of the cutlery wasn't too bad. I had to watch the others until I got a hang of it. But I didn't last long, though as a full grown wolf I should be eating large portions, my body couldn't take it. Years of rationing wouldn't allow it. Another thing I would have to adjust to , I didn't want to offend their kindness.

      "Are you going to finish that?" Richard asked me.

      I shook my head and passed my plate over to him but before he could reach it Jana smacked his hand.

      "Don't you dare, you greedy dog." She chastised him. I laughed a little at their exchange, it was so very different from my parents, I hoped they were alright.