SIX: BENEVOLENCE

[six]

I kept my head down seriously wondering if this was meant to happen to me.

Alpha Jensen cries in outrage. The elders still refuse him. I don't bother to acknowledge the crowd, no one will ever understand what happened to me except for my mother. I smile at our little secret. Her support means the world to me.

Just then I remember her words, she wants me to leave, to find happiness. I am satisfied with what is necessary. My service to others is necessary for me to live. It is my purpose.

Do I serve a purpose to this Beta Gideon, only in name or...?

"Are you aware of her reputation, Alpha Eric?"

That's his name then.

"Her reputation is of no concern. She proved herself worthy in the arena." he said.

"Under falsehood, she wasn't meant to be there." This was Beta Todd voicing his disdain.

"Pup, in my pack we are interested in strong women, not puppets. Wag your tail elsewhere." Alpha Eric shot back.

Beta Todd growled at the blatant disrespect but did nothing otherwise.

Was that what we were? Puppets to the men. My mother always seemed timid but my father was just dominating it wasn't a terrible thing for her I suppose.

Last night proved to me that she wasn't some puppet. She had her own mind and sense of pride in me. I always knew, I guess it took six years for me to realize it.

My father was never an open book and I don't mind it. We are all different.

"Enough of the banter. Is your Beta aware of this arrangement?" An elder asked.

"He will be. He trusts my judgement." The Alpha responds clearly smug with himself.

I pondered on what type of man would allow another choose his life companion for him. They must be close or he must be daft.

"Can she not petition her own position on the matter?" It was Alpha Jensen again. He wanted me to reject it but our elders had mandated I leave the pack as soon as possible.

"She will not. Her lack of judgement cost her before no need to accost us with anymore foolishness. She will accept it or her closest unmated relative may fight, Beta Gideon, in accordance with tradition."

Alpha Eric chuckled to himself.

"The family may proceed to meet with Alpha Eric for further deliberation. Case dismissed."

I paused at this. Would they really put themselves out there for me?

I was beckoned over by Alpha Eric.

I took purposeful strides towards him wanting no doubt as to my state of mind. I was unsure of my future, he had given no reason for me to doubt him but he was not to be my mate. My mate was still a mystery to me.

Alpha Eric stood tall and proud. His white hair and striking blue eyes gave his countenance a younger appeal but I knew he had more years to him. His seemed pleasant. He smiled, if only he knew me, he wouldn't.

"Alpha" I bow towards.

"Eric is fine. No need for pleasantries, as my second in command open discussion is welcome."

"Then if I may so openly suggest that you are mistaken in your choice." I replied. I didn't know exactly what he knew of me.

"Clarify for me." He stated amused even.

"I have committed an unspeakable act. Who are you to say I won't do it again?" I challenged. It hurt to damn myself but it was necessary.

His face became serious.

"I know who you are, Maya. What I saw in that arena was enough to convince myself and my wolf. Beta Female or not I want you in my pack."

I was taken aback by his revelation. I never told him my name. Where did he know me from?

"Come, I don't think we should delay an audience with your parents for long. Don't want to be rude."

He led me away from the elders and shocked expressions of my pack members.

I had proven myself worthy. He saw my potential as a warrior and took a chance. It had been the first time in a long time, my wolf and I had felt such pride.

"Viva La Vida" by Coldplay

THIS IS AN UNEDITED DRAFT.THANK YOU FOR READING.