TEN: NEW GROUND

[ten]

      The car ride was very long and very quiet well between Gideon and I. I focused my attention on the moon that shined outside my window while he just sat there always staring at me. I didn't mind his behavior. It was just his proximity that made me nervous, not afraid,just nervous.

      I fell asleep a couple times, waking up to Olivia and Eric bickering about Gideon and I as if we weren't sitting here.

      I wondered if they had any children.

      I looked to Gideon and he was still wide awake keeping vigil for danger I suppose. He never relaxed and I don't think he wanted to.

      The landscape as we approached their territory had changed. Whereas at my birthplace the forest looked like a jungle of thick greenery. The colors were more dull and the trees thinner.

      I put my ear to the window and could not hear anything, it was silent.

      "Is it always so quiet like this, are there no animals?" I asked to no one in particular.

      "No, we pushed them into the borders of our land so no humans who were still curious enough to venture here would stay long to poach. It was Gideon's idea." Olivia said.

      "And I am assuming the car is a part of a disguise for rogues too. They would think you're human and forget to take note of the scent." I add.

      "Yes,Beta Maya." Eric joked. I wouldn't officially become Beta until we married. If we married I wouldn't have to mate with Gideon to assume the title. That gave me immense relief.

      "How many entrances are there to the territory?" I asked. These questions were natural. I needed to know how their security worked and align myself with it. It was the warrior in me.

      "The one we are taking is the only visible one. The others you will have to become acquainted with when you shift to your wolf." Eric replied me. " Gideon could show you around."

      He glanced between us before returning to the road.

      I returned to looking out the window. My wolf felt better now than before.We started to climb a hill before bumping sharply over a rocky surface. There was a deep valley covered in a light fog.

      The car continued to shake like a seesaw. I thanked the Goddess I wore a seatbelt for fear I might have landed in Gideon's lap. I doubt he would have liked that.

      The shaking eventually stopped and we returned to dirt road. The thin trees began to spread further before we broke out into a large grassy field. I rolled down the window and stuck my hand out.

      The air was humid and I felt a light dew. I could feel my wolf push forward to enjoy the sensation also.

      It was early morning as the sun was coming up. I let my hand drop to the side of the car as my skin came in contact with various weeds and tall grasses.

      The grass grew shorter as we approached a large gate. Several herds of sheep gathered there all crying out.

      "Many of the members prefer to farm on their own but we still have a substantial communal farm set up in case their plans for subsistence backfires." Olivia commented.

      I hadn't farmed in years, the least I had been able to tend was a garden. The elders preferred to keep the process controlled and not in the hands of pack members.

      They however seemed to trust their members with taking care of themselves.

      We past through the gates as the sheep began to run past to graze in the grass. I felt my hand brush a few of them bringing a smile to my lips. My wolf was more concerned with hunting them though.

      I rolled my window back up not wanting to disturb them any further.

      Before long we came to a stop in front of a cluster of houses, some wolves stood in front of it with smiles and a sense of eagerness.

      "This is definitely not the whole pack but more of our family." Olivia said.

      We got out of the car and I could hear whispering before I came into full view. They all hushed when they saw me and I don't know what for.

      "My Goddess, what is this beauty's name?!" A woman with long bright red hair said. She had a small stature but her eyes were so welcoming. She had freckles and a lovely voice.

      Who is she talking about?

      Before I could figure that out, I felt my face connect with the ground. I quickly flipped us over.I clutched his neck and bared my teeth.

      It was a blonde, long haired boy. I immediately removed my hand as if it was burning. Before I could get up, I felt hands wind around my waist. I stilled surprised and scared out of my life by the contact.

      My back met a hard chest before I was set down. I was glad my hair covered my horrified expression. It wasn't intimate it was just the most practical way to pick me up.

      "How many times Brian?" I heard a deep lilting voice say. I looked up having composed myself to see Gideon engaging in conversation with the boy named Brian.

      "A few here or there." The boy said scratching the back of his head.

      Gideon was squeezing his shoulder.

      "Hey, my neck already hurts could you not do that." Brian complained.

      "I am sorry about that, my wolf and I don't do well with surprises." I interjected.

      "Anything for a beautiful lady." The blonde smiled cheekily.

      I smiled at his attempt at flattery, "You're joking."

      "No, he is serious." The red haired lady says, "Isn't that right,Gideon?"

      I had experienced Olivia and Eric already trying to force some sort of intimate situation between us and this was no different. But I was completely caught off guard with his next answer.

He said,

      "Yes,she is."

THIS IS AN UNEDITED DRAFT.THANK YOU FOR READING.