ELEVEN: INITIATION

[eleven]

       I had never considered myself beautiful inside or out. I was convinced it was not my responsibility to tell myself and I didn't need anyone else to either. My mother never stressed physical beauty in my life. I guess over the years of my exile in my own pack I grew an aversion to it. Physical things or aspects were supposed to be for necessary means. I had legs to run, hair as a sort of blanket, eyes to see or not see; it was any wolf's choice. All these things to defend myself from the enemy but would the enemy always be in front of me or in my mind.

      I wanted to know what was inside but I also knew it didn't hurt to admire the body. I was just tired of being encumbered by it.

      It was my body that had shattered any sense of dignity or worth I was to my pack.

      It was my body that wanted to tell everyone of my suffering but my mind didn't agree.

       Flattery couldn't hurt I hoped. We needed to get to know each other. With all his staring he must be pleased with my appearance. I liked that because I wasn't going to change anything about myself, I wasn't going to change what was in my control.

      He was nice to look at also. His posture told me he was always aware of his surroundings, I admire that, any warrior needs to be. He was physically fit not a hard condition to maintain but there was something amiss. His eyes.

         Of all the wolves I'd met not one was unclear. With his,a cloud hovered and I didn't know if I was meant to see any clear sky past it.

        "Maya, my name is Maya." I looked away from his heated stare. It was the first time since we'd met that I couldn't look at him directly, I was nervous again though he wasn't standing close.

      Instead I looked towards the redhead her piercing and curious stare more comforting than my mate's own.

      "It suits you." An older man proclaimed he had dark brown tresses with some white here and there, a sharp nose and a slim face. "I am Richard, this is my wife Jana and unfortunately those two boys are our sons.Welcome to the family." He quipped.

      Brian looked nothing like the redhead, Jana, and Gideon looked nothing like Richard. They were a mixed family. They had each other.

      "Hey, I'm as much a man as Gideon minus the Beta rank, the training, oh, and menace." Brian whispered. The last part,he snickered.

      "What you did to Maya doesn't make you a man?!" A completely white haired woman chastised. "You haven't had a good hiding in a while I'm glad she took your scrawny ass down. Serves you right."

      She came up to me very quickly and clutched my face. "The Goddess would have a run for it with you. Gideon you've outdone yourself. Didn't she kick your ass in the arena?" She chuckled, "She will straighten you up for sure, hit you a couple times around to see stars."

      She then pulled me in for a tight hug. I lost my breath for a while before she released me.

      "Ha,she broke your perfect,little record,Gi. Take that!" I heard Brian say before a resounding slap and a cry of pain came to my ears. He didn't like nicknames. I never had one.

      "Well it's best to get to breakfast,now before it gets cold. You're crowding the poor girl, Eva, but I agree you look lovely Maya." another man smiled in my direction standing peacefully near the house. I came to the conclusion that he was this woman's mate.

      I smiled back. This was a family and I didn't know what to feel or how to act. I spent most of my time with those who were simply waiting to leave and rest in peace elsewhere, nowhere near the living. I was in the middle,living on the edge but never quite welcome on either side.This was my first time I would get a chance to move away from such a dull existence.

      Brian nudged Gideon but got no response before running off into the nearest house. It was sizable and had a porch with a white exterior and two stories. It was homely.

      I was still admiring the house until I realized only Gideon and I were left in the yard. We stared at each other before I quickly made my way to the door.

THIS IS AN UNEDITED DRAFT.THANK YOU FOR READING.