TWENTY-NINE: FALLEN ANGEL

[Gideon]

She'd gone into that house.

Ben's house.

That's what she'd called him the first time we met. He'd liked her, I knew that much. He was the first to come talk to her. The boys had been asking about her.She was reluctant to go see them but she obliged like I knew she would.She wasn't one to miss the opportunity to make someone happy.

I'd seen it all over his face, the relief that she was alright,alive. He'd given me his own look of disbelief. I would have smiled at him just to rub it in.

I gave his home a long look myself.It wasn't to my taste.

At least she had a home to come to. If I were sentimental I'd say I was jealous.Her home is still standing, physically. I've gotten used to the idea that my own is ash and has to be for it's own good. I'd contributed to it anyway. This place on the other hand looked like it could fall at any moment. In her mind, it had already.

It's the people, Gideon, not the structure. Didn't you... didn't you feel just a little bit lonely all in that cabin by yourself? Before me?

Thankfully, she'd fallen asleep in the bed we'd been given by her friends, Elaine and Nathan. They seemed to be the only ones around here with their heads screwed on right and the unofficial leaders of this pitiful pack of wolves.

I recognized the signs myself, the silence especially.When my father disappeared that's all there was.I would pace around busying myself for the very moment that would ricochet everything I once knew into oblivion. That same fate was coming straight for Maya and I didn't have a damn clue about how to prevent it.

I wasn't sure I even wanted to stop it. She'd turn out like me. We could finally be together without my constant worry that I'd be the one to give her hell for the rest of her life. For once, I didn't want that distinction, that title. Destroyer. It definitely wasn't the intended path my father had in mind for me when he gave me my name but it was the only part of my name I'd fulfilled so far in my life.

I wanted something else. I wanted her like she'd come to me.

But now her parents were missing. The Alphas and Betas she'd entrusted with her life, gave her away to some sick fuck I'd like to kill and...and she was forcing me to be the hopeful one. I didn't like it much but I'd do it anyway. I couldn't resist.

I watched her leave the house, the doorway darkened.It had yet to snow but it was coming, the perfect cover.There was no color to this place,none at all.

"What are you so angry about now?"

That was Eric's question but nothing was going the way I was used to, the way I would have liked; nothing had for a long time now and it all started with Maya.

Two curly-haired boys ran out after her.They'd been calling her name but it seemed like she didn't hear.One ran ahead of the other dragging her clothing to get her attention. The boy that stayed behind looked towards me. He recognized me from the last time. He waved before running after his brother.

Maya knelt down to their level as they presented her with a flower. The only problem was that it had wilted. There was no awe or sense of wonder with this exchange but a sad attempt at a farewell. It was nothing like the first time, not as intimate. It wasn't even the boy's fault. They'd tried to hold the connection, it was Maya who couldn't hold up her side. She took it from them, not even offering a smile in return, merely kisses to their identical foreheads.