TWENTY-ONE: TENDERNESS

[twenty-one]

The division was apparent. When I led Gideon and a small troupe towards the river, we ran separately. One with Aiden, the other with me. Gideon didn't seem bothered by this and I was glad.

We split and I began to explain to them all how to determine whether the scent of the river was playing tricks or not. It was difficult for them at first but I changed my method of instruction, coaxing them to only use their most necessary senses, hearing and smelling.

"This is unclaimed territory, whatever is beyond the falls does not belong to any, Beta." a warrior by the name of Daniel commented. He was older closer to Gideon's age but bulky. He was a respectable man who held no resentment. He felt uncomfortable with the divide and was not afraid to let it be known.

"Please, call me Maya." I implored him.

He nodded before continuing, "We have never considered this place, no arable land exists anymore." He glanced behind me as he said this in Gideon's direction.

"Scorched earth. It was occupied previously, I presume?" I asked. What would have occurred to make a pack abandon their land, it had to be drastic.

He hesitated to answer me but there was no need.

"Yes." Gideon stated. His gaze was hard in it's direction.

"Is there a story?"

It fell silent at my question and I felt the hunger stir in my belly, I am sure it rattled Gideon's mood deeply. However, I was not to be enlightened today.

"Beta!" a voice exclaimed. We turned to regard our new companion, he was young and exhausted. It was Derek.

He shriveled as he noticed Gideon's gaze and paused peering nervously around him.

"Spit it out, son." Gideon commanded. Derek flinched at his words.

I grasped Gideon's arm. "It's alright, Derek, I'll go." I turned to Gideon.

"Finish, here, with them." He grunted in response when the hunger had numbed but I wanted to remain cautious of leaving him with Aiden.

I nodded towards Daniel, a signal for him to maintain peace as best he could.

"Lead the way, Derek."

We came upon the village, where most members kept their homes. The training grounds, communal dining and infirmary situated nearby.

A large crowd had gathered by training grounds and I began to feel unease among them. Many of them were underaged and had no reason to be here.

"Some wolves challenged each other, we couldn't interfere." Derek explained quickly more at ease than he was before.

The crowd parted quickly for me and I came to see Brian pinned down by another wolf.

"I want this challenge rescinded." I addressed them. Brian's skirmishes had become more apparent. He would return home with bruises and scrapes but refused to tell us how it had come to pass. Jana was concerned, Richard was disappointed and Gideon was irritated.

"This pup thinks he can mouth off." Brian stated.

"I don't see much age difference between you two,so I would regard you the same way." I replied.

The wolf on top clumsily left Brian allowing him to get up.

"Care to explain this, boys." I awaited their answer but nothing came and I had a feeling of the basis for the disagreement. Brian loved Gideon, it was apparent.