THIRTEEN: WOLF

[thirteen]

      I quickly shifted, my wolf's eagerness too much for me to handle.

      I pondered over Eva's words, I am not sure whether Gideon heard her but it made him seem all the more peculiar.

      I didn't mind him leaving me, my wolf could sense the boundaries their territory, it was innate. I was used to being alone. I enjoyed it more than I should have.

      My wolf's black pelt bristled under the soft wind that blew by. She stiffened as she felt the presence of another wolf.

      The wolf had deep chestnut brown fur that also rippled as the wind blew. It held a rigid,powerful stance. His body was lean, less bulky than wolves I had previously encountered. It was a sign of stealth, speed.

      Gideon.

      I looked up into its eyes, as it was slightly taller, to be met with the familiar guarded blue ones.

      We began to circle each other, further studying our respective physiques.

      My wolf was at ease, a very unfamiliar feeling I sensed from her. She respected him naturally, he was of a higher rank but there was something else. Admiration.

      "See what I mean!" Brian exclaimed pulling us out of our trance.

      There was no sexual tension to speak of. To bond properly, the wolves needed to meet without influence from their human counterparts. It wasn't sexual, it was primal.

      It was a sign of trust to willingly reveal one's true form to be studied,scrutinized. Once that initial barrier is completed, the human's may proceed with the bonding. It was a sign of approval and my wolf made no objection to him.

      "Don't disturb them,Brian." It was John who had spoken. Everyone was now situated on the porch watching Gideon and I.

      I could feel their anticipation and hope.

      I sat back on my haunches as Gideon's wolf continued to circle my own. I held my stance as my wolf awaited Gideon's verdict. I didn't expect this to happen quickly but it was here and my wolf was ready.

      His wolf stopped before us.

      He cocked his head to the side signaling for me to follow.

      Brian approached us but Gideon's wolf only growled.

      "There is no need for you to accompany them, Gideon is capable." Eric said.

       Gideon quickly bounded off and my wolf followed suit.

      The trees maintained their thin state as their tall forms whirled past me. Our paws thudded against the ground in synchrony though my body remained a hair behind his own. I was using all my strength to maintain his pace and my wolf enjoyed it. She wanted to prove herself worthy to his wolf.

      We continued to run further before I felt the boundaries. I fell behind him purposely to properly familiarize myself with them. He didn't seem bothered by this and nor did he slow down for me.

     Sunlight streamed through the trees as various animals scurried about. It was quite peaceful and I could tell that my wolf was enamored by the serenity of the place. Our former home had been a jungle of silence and doom. An intensity that was unrelenting. Maybe we felt that way due to our history with the place but our new home was undeniably paradise.

      She kept her tongue hung out the further delight in the fresh scents of nature.

      Things were either dead or hiding around my shack. The seasons were harsh and biting. But here even as fall approached, there was no foreboding, no depression. It felt natural and for the first time in a long time I was eager for snow.