NINETEEN: OMEN

[nineteen]

The elders understood my predicament and allowed more time for me to adjust but Gideon was summoned daily. He would return agitated but would only calm down once we went to bed and he comforted me, often discussing matters of the pack, apparently there was an increase in rogue activity but they had failed to apprehend any due to the fact that the rogues never crossed the border but came very close.

The most peculiar thing about their behavior was that it was a group. Rogues were lone wolves, only joining to scavenge or plan disruptions to more stable lifestyles. If groups occurred it's because they had begun to rehabilitate themselves in order to mimic pack life and eventually ask permission to join, which in turn got them entry to the Pits.

But this group didn't seem to want that,they only hovered. Eric and Olivia thought it best we not attack, we weren't aware if they knew a pack existed beyond the mountains and they seemed to steer clear. It would be foolish on our own part to reveal ourselves to them.The elders agreed.

While he was gone, I would return to the farm and complete whatever tasks available. This was futile as there weren't many. It was getting cooler and the animals preferred to remain in their pens, surrounded by warmth.

I took to walking the territory, maybe the tranquility of the land would spur my wolf to make an appearance and experience the freedom of a run. I ventured far but always returned before Gideon, still hoping she would stir more.

I came to the largest river on the territory. I could see the sky stretch across for miles, my view wasn't blocked by mountains.

I paused, what if they discovered this place? Gideon and I had not ventured towards the mouth of the river. Water was a cleansing element, if you submerged your self enough, you could mask your scent. I quickly began to head towards the mouth of the river, maybe I could scout the area and track if they'd been here.

The place seemed bare of any scents from the pack. I continued past as the water became more violent, humming loudly and dewy air cascading across my features. I heard a branch snap to my left as the river increased in width and underbrush became thicker. I sniffed hoping to catch something this time. Though my wolf was weak, the warrior was emerging, I had a duty to protect now.

I veered slightly away from the river following the sound. More crunches occurred before, I caught sight of two pairs of red eyes peering at me. It was a man. I could sense his apprehension. He was a rogue but smelled predominantly like the river, my suspicion was correct. He was hiding his scent.

All that held my attention were his eyes.

A howl came to pass beyond the river's mouth.

He started running but he wasn't leaving in the direction of the howl. I ran after him as best I could avoiding underbrush and moving quietly.

He didn't seem to mind my presence.

He continued sniffing but seemed confused. He abruptly changed direction and I almost lost him.

The mist from the river's mouth hung heavy around us and my sight was failing my attempt to track him. I resorted to following the thud of his feet.

A growl echoed around us and I heard the pounding and couldn't distinguish between the wolf behind me and the rogue.

I lost him.

I exited the shroud and jumped away when jaws snapped my hand.I ran not sure about my direction. The wolf was close and would soon gain on me.