FOUR: TEMPTATIONS

[four]

"Wait!"

I knew that voice from anywhere. It was Ben again.

I remember the first time we met.It was an experience I would have never dreamt of.I heard something like screeching.I had taken a walk in the nearby brush,loitering my father would have complained. I dropped the long stick I had been holding,using it to tap and aimlessly shuffle dirt around.

I ran to the sound thought it hurt my ears,wondering exactly what could produce such a sound.It came from a nice looking house,white on the outside.I slid acroos the smooth frame,pressing so hard as the screams became louder and louder.It was a woman.

I grew confused when she would quiet down before releasing even more agonizing sounds till once they just stopped.I had gotten so used to the sound I was almost expecting her to continue but then the silence that seemed to linger wasn't pleasant, it was as if the sound had never even existed,snuffed out.

I was so completely entranced by my curiosity that I didn't hear someone approach.It was a taller man with a solemn expression.We stared at each other for a while but he didn't say anything.

I moved my head, stretching my neck to see what was going on but there was only a dark space leading into the house.

I looked back up at him, his voice scratchy,like he had clawed at his own throat.

"There's no spectacle here.Leave us alone."

I ran away. He has been chasing me ever since he had the chance to properly mourn her and I was there to hear her die.I guess it was the one thing we shared.

I turned to face him. He was a handsome dark skinned wolf, with little hair on his head but it suited him. He had full pink lips and a sometimes creased brow. He was an honest, father of two with an open heart. He looked sympathetic but hurt. It was never my intention to do so. My wolf and I know pain and it is not pleasant.

He became serious. "Why?"

I resisted the urge to bow before him as he was now ranked higher than myself. He always insisted I didn't in hopes that we would become equals.

"I am not good enough for you, Ben. I am not the girl you were interested in all those years ago. I see you only as a friend. Mating with would be fruitless for you. You need someone to love you and the boys. Not a blemish."

He stepped closer and I allowed him. I trusted him that much.

"You never have and you never will be a disgrace to me or my boys. Tom and Jack adore you. They are as taken with you as I am."

"They adore Madison too. She has pure intentions. I am sure she would be flattered if you claimed her."

He was silent at my suggestion. I had mentioned her often and he had been in her company many times as well. He had been so blinded by me that he was overlooking her potential.

"Stop denying yourself happiness." He finally said.

"You don't know what makes me happy, Ben. I would rather carry my sins by myself. You have enough tragedy don't add to it by pursuing me." I firmly responded.

A silence drew upon us as he twirled a piece of my hair in his hand.

"What does your wolf want?" I ask.

"He trusts me to make the decision on my own." He says quietly studying my face. "He still misses her as do I."

"You will never forget your first love but Sarah's memories will guide you to raise those boys right."

He had come to me often talking about the Twins' mother. She was a fine she- wolf from his descriptions. She reminded me of my mother at times.

"Are you sure Madison will be willingly? I don't think I can take another rejection."

We laugh quietly, a serene sense of finality settling between us. I am glad my point has been taken into consideration. Though I am not fooled by his demeanor, the heart falls as quick as the wind and takes moons to settle at its original place.

"Yes, I am sure of it. She is very loyal to you and your mother fancies her. No harm done."

His mother was respectful from a distance. She wasn't entirely on board when Ben first made his advances clear to my parents but she came around only to recede again due to my incident. She was very much a part of this pack and believed in a certain way of life. I don't know if I still believe in it myself but I am here and will abide by the laws of the land.

He chuckled lightly before releasing my hair and inhaling deeply.

"May I?" He asked staring at my lips.

I stepped away from him and shook my head. It was inappropriate and I don't think I will ever be able to let a man touch in that manner.

"Goodnight, Ben."

I didn't wait for him to respond continuing on my way. I really do hope he moves on. Being still is the worst way to heal because without movement you are left with a wound and still guaranteed no future.

I made sure my footsteps were light as I ventured among the trees. There weren't many creatures lurking as they prepared for winter.

The nights were getting colder but I wasn't sure if it would snow. Some winters it did, some it didn't.

There was a time when snow was so wonderful. A soft material to blanket my body. The freshest ever to reach my nose. A stark contrast to my wolf's dark coat. But it was all that blood that had penetrated my snow.

I take my clothes off and fold them. I welcome the familiar sensation of my body transforming. I allow my wolf reign.

She shakes her coat and stretches. She takes my clothes in her teeth and runs off. Strategically avoiding underbrush and low branches.

She runs for as much as she wants. I permit her to remain like this as we admire the moon.

I know I am not the moon and my life cycle shall differ from its own but I found companionship with it.

There are only two in a relationship. I am very much afraid of knowing a man or even a man knowing me.

My heart is for the moon and has been for as long as I can remember.

"Falling" by HAIM

THIS IS AN UNEDITED DRAFT.THANK YOU FOR READING.