EIGHT: THE DEPARTED

[eight]

      I tensed at the sight of him. He wasn't as tall as Eric, but he still seemed to tower over me. His aura was definitely darker and I could feel his intense nature. I was significantly more relaxed having just realized how menacing he seemed,almost reserved.

      His eyes were also blue but didn't shine like Eric's had. His remained almost dull and opaque, willing you to avoid looking at them,as if in warning.I noticed faint scars running from his cheek to his neck on his pale white skin.

      No wonder he was growling. I could have ripped out his throat.

      "Maya, this is Gideon." Eric introduced us.

      "Beta." I bowed my head in respect but he merely stared at me before receding back into the room. I wonder how he felt about this. He obviously knew now.

      "After you." Olivia said.

      I entered the room to see my mother and father sitting on a sofa facing us. We all stood in a line in front of them. Olivia squeezed my shoulder maybe for confidence. I didn't need the reassurance, they were my parents, I never hid from them and I wasn't going to start now.

     I was going to leave. It didn't bother me much. I had six years to detach myself from them but I still wanted their approval, some semblance of validation. Six years of wondering what it would have been like to actually be with them, as a family. It was hard to put into words.

     "I want my daughter married to ensure her survival." My father said. That was the voice that would push me to the brink of my limits. Discipline me. Guide me in the only way a father could. That was the closest I would get to 'I love you'.

      "It will be done." Eric said.

      It was silent.

      "We will rejoin our pack." My father announced. My mother seemed hesitant until my father's hand came down on her shoulder. I knew she wouldn't forgive him if I didn't say my peace. They only had each other. As their only daughter, I owed it to them to have the chance to finally live in peace.

      Before they could stand,

      "Wait." I said quietly. My father refused to face me but my mother gave me a sad smile.

      I approached them and knelt down mimicking my departure six years ago. But this time I was leaving for good.My mother wasn't crying like she did before because this is what she wanted for me.

"Cherish her,Beta." She said stroking my braid. Her eyes were hard. I placed her hand in her lap before looking to my father.

      He was turned away from me. He was afraid to sympathize with me. It was against his way of life and with years to adhere to it there was no way to break that oath, that culture.

     "I forgive you." I said looking straight at him. He met my eyes briefly before standing up and walking away with my mother in tow.

     I let out a breath I didn't even know I was holding and slackened a bit on the ground. I closed my eyes to gather my bearings but did not release a single tear. It was a funeral for the living.

THIS IS AN UNEDITED DRAFT.THANK YOU FOR READING.