THREE: JUDGEMENT

[three]

The day I was attacked was the first time I was ever called upon by the Elders. Many pack members would tell me I had a bright future as a warrior. I was projected to defend the pack in its darkest hours and ensure its safety and survival. I wanted that future among other things but it was not to be.

I had been prepared early only by my father. He was in his prime then some say he still is. Violence was an everyday thing for a wolf. Blood was necessary to be drawn.

My father was fiercely dedicated to his trade and he instilled that aggressive determination in me once. My father would rather die than be enslaved to watch his failures come to fruition. I cannot say the same for myself,maybe that was what made me weak.I had no real self-motivation but to stay alive, anything beyond that was supplied not by myself but others.

I stood before the Council with my head held high. I had no reason to hide from them. They had judged me without the truth. Whatever prejudice awaited me now would be no different.

The large fire blazed behind casting a shadow before. Several other shadows joined mine as each and every pack member was required by law to attend such gatherings. If I were worth anything to them I would not be standing here as a sacrificial lamb. I had been cooked, dried then tossed aside before. There was no burn too great for me to recover from or at least I'd hoped.

The Elders were seated upon an elevated stone said to be centuries old and used for such purposes now. It was to represent our foundation and history within our Elders. The Alpha and Beta males and females stood in front of the elevated structure.

I had folded my arms behind my back, striking a pose to remind them that I am not afraid. I stood like this the very first time when they had banished me from my parents' home to my now humble abode to live as a pariah. Yet here I stand an undeniable integral part of this pack's health whether they wish to acknowledge it or not. I live to serve. My wolf lives to serve, nothing else.

The whole pack had been murmuring constantly as they settled around the fire in a circle. The howl of Alpha Jensen brought down an immediate silence.I closed my eyes,little by little, as the uncomfortable memory of the whip creeped into my mind.

An Elder spoke,

"It has come to our attention that a wolf wishes to claim you as their mate."

At that one statement a ripple outcry thundered from the crowd. I looked to my left to see my mother on the verge of tears and my father still as stone, just as I always remembered him.

The Alphas and Betas seemed visibly disturbed by this revelation for reasons unknown to me. An angry Alpha Jensen approached the Elders. I stood my ground showing no emotion whatsoever.

I knew who had requested this. His name,Ben. He is a carpenter who was formally mated. His mate died giving birth to their twins when I was sixteen years old. By the time I turned eighteen he had shown interest in me. My mother didn't mind it so much I would be close to home and be able to continue to train as a warrior. That was my future then until the scandal hit.

He still remained adamant in his interest. My father hoped to change his mind not wishing to bring shame to his family as I had to mine. My mother was my only comfort then when I could still be with her.

His twin boys were wonderful and I wasn't afraid to become a mother and a warrior but I didn't love him though I could have grown into it.Sometimes he would visit me in my solitude. I came to see him as a truly amiable person but he deserved better.

I avoided Ben's gaze as the Alpha exchanged words with the elders. He had more courage than I had given him credit for but it just wasn't meant to be.

A howl resounded this time from the Beta rendering the place silent once again.

My mother's tears had since cleared as my father clutched her shoulder, a sign of dominance over her. It was the same pose they held when I left them six years ago.

"Do you wish to be claimed by said request?"  Alpha Jensen asked me. He stared at me hard as if daring me to accept it.

"No, Alpha" I stated. He relaxed still staring at me but this time in approval, a rare sight for my sore eyes.

I knew Ben would be disappointed but he would come to understand in time.Time did wonders for those who lived long enough to appreciate it. I saw Alana's hunched figure but she wasn't staring at me, but rather through me.Her eyes almost dead, if I looked close enough I could possibly see the flames dancing in them, as if there was some deep-

An Elder spoke,

"We are happy to hear you have denied this but are displeased to learn that Alpha failed to inform us that you were of age to be claimed."

Alpha Jensen soon lost his relaxed state approaching the elders yet again. They ignored him.

"You are forbidden to be claimed by a member of this pack. We have carried your shame long enough but you will be presented for claiming at the next gathering."

The crowd erupted once again some in distaste others joyous to be rid of me. The Alphas and Betas were really concerned now. I stood still without any emotion.

"You are not being claimed because you deserve to be, you are being claimed because it is what is done. Not even you are an exception to the law. May the Goddess bless the wolf to see anything in you."

I looked up sharply my face betraying nothing but my eyes enraged by his words. My wolf was disrespected and wished to set things right. I held her back for our own good.

I didn't know what to feel other than rage. I had been burned and I didn't know how to quench it.

We were dismissed. I quickly made my escape to the woods seeking the moon's guidance.

"Hard Time" by Seinabo Sey

THIS IS AN UNEDITED DRAFT.THANK YOU FOR READING.