THIRTY-THREE: LOVE IN THE DARK

[thirty-two]

I'd blacked out and Gideon was there when I woke up

I sat quietly,watching as he moved around the room.All I could smell was him, my scent was slowly disappearing.

He told me I'd gone on a rampage, my wolf taking over. I didn't hurt anyone but I'd killed the first sign of meat this pack had had in days. A source of sustenance,life I'd wasted. My wolf hadn't even eaten the meat but had left it to rot and freeze in the cold. She'd simply put it down because she wanted to, no reason needed. We weren't feeding ourselves, distilling our hunger, simply indulging in the bloodthirst our mate had given us;expanding that need to feel powerful, justifying our bad mood.

"Gideon." I called out to him. Looking into his face, it was unfathomable how I'd doubted he could possibly ever know there was something wrong with me, suspect my potential to stray from the righteous path. It seems the Goddess really does create her children all alike but leaves it to us to find each other, quite blindly too.

The buckets of water I had left behind were frozen to the brim.

The door to the shack had rotten to the point that even the slightest touch would have

pieces breaking off. I could see mist forming as my breath fanned from my mouth. The

cot hung dull and lazy from the roof. A hole could be seen with icicles hanging.

The floor creaked like I remembered it had. I lit the fire waiting for Gideon to come along. I couldn't hide anymore. It's not like I had a choice being married to him. I just didn't want to talk for a little awhile with everyone missing wasn't it obvious they'd done something bad.

Now I knew what it felt like to have someone corner you, force you to say what you don't want to say.

The flames danced irregularly as I stood crossing my arms over my shoulders just thinking of what I would say. I'd liked this place once, it was the best thing I ever had. But now I had much better things, better people. I had Gideon and there was no longer any need to keep carrying these memories along but it was so hard.

He was silent as he entered but I knew it was him as always feeling that slight breeze across my skin.

I didn't look at him, I just stared intently at the the fire. "Do you know what happens,when I feel sorry for myself,Gideon?" I asked quietly.

"This was my home for many,many years." I whispered. I didn't know whether to welcome him or push him out. This was my solitary confinement, my place where all my despair had gathered. I didn't have to ever explain to anyone how I felt. I just kept it lingering here. Now, he, Gideon, was invading this space, this carefully kept hollow part of my mind, my heart. And I wasn't going to let him belittle me into thinking that I wasn't a bad girl.