TWENTY-FIVE: STALWART,STALEMATE

[twenty-five]

We stood before the elders awaiting their deliberation. Gideon's actions were a danger to the pack albeit through no fault of his own and they had every right to demand the others to challenge our position.Many of the pack members, native and assimilated assembled before the white tent. The wind blew softly but my hair was wrapped in a tight braid. I stood beside Gideon,unafraid of the consequences, though no one would truly understand we could only accept what the Goddess had dealt us.

Eric and Olivia were none too pleased about the events. Jana was horrified but grateful no one else got hurt.She and Richard were just glad to have their son back, Brian his brother.Eva fumed threatening to have Aiden's head but John immediately dismissed her fit.

Gideon and I had quickly set about replacing the trees around our house which were unfortunately bulldozed. The farm was quieter these days as the animals had calmed down, the calf was developing properly.

I just wanted to understand what I was feeling,what he was feeling. I'd help bring that calf to life.I'd drawn my claws ,giving into the temptation, wanting to bring it harm but there was nothing.

I suppose when he'd caught me, I'd be ashamed but I wasn't. I felt stumped. He even smiled but it was a hollow one.Emotions weren't meant to suit him, according to everyone else, but I just knew he was angry. I could feel it. Why,was for another day.Knowing him, he'd never lie to me,not because lying was bad,but because the consequences would be too annoying for him to bear.

The women stepped out of the tent gracefully. The pack members who had taken the opportunity to relax immediately stood from their positions, bowing in their direction.

"It has been long a matter of concern for the pack over our Beta bloodline." one spoke, "but my sisters and I have found no grounds for any doubts. Your Beta has provided us with a strong Beta Female, fierce in her loyalty and devotion to stand by him, stand by us. If any of you have any real personal trepidation for your fears, please step forward and reveal yourself." It remained quiet, her words penetrated all our ears, stirring an uncomfortable silence for those known to harbor ill-will towards Gideon, towards us.

Gideon didn't have to tell me for me to know that he never laid a hand on any of them. They had nothing to prove that Gideon was incompetent. Aiden was still recovering. They could barely approach Gideon let alone carry out a conversation with him.A non-existent conversation did not translate into a feud.

"We do not pride ourselves on creating division. The Goddess did not gift us with Alphas and Betas for us to forsake her with such vile behavior as displayed amongst us.Those responsible for this better thank her for we have retracted our original intentions of punishing you at the request of your Beta Female." 

I felt their eyes on me but I did not waver under the scrutiny. It was true, there was no reason to punish them for their ignorance, irrational fears led to irrational decisions that should never be regarded with force and submission but rather leniency and time to create an atmosphere of fellowship. Harmony was key, not a struggle for power.

"The bloodline of Gideon and Maya is viable and shall thrive."

It was decided, challenge or not , we were the Betas of this pack.

As the crowd dispersed, we were approached by a heavily pregnant she-wolf. She waddled a bit, but was confident in her strides. I could sense her nervousness but remained confident. I reached out to help her and she smiled gratefully. She exhaled loudly before turning to Gideon.

"I-I wanted to apologize for my mate's behavior, Beta. He lives on his pride but I just want him to-to be alive for my pup." she couldn't hold his gaze so reverted to mine with a sheepish look; her hand hovering her bulge, " I will knock some sense into him for sure." she finished flustered by the whole thing. She looked down biting her lip. She seemed younger than myself, it was sweet of her.

I looked at Gideon waiting for his response. We talked about this, him trying to be more responsive.

"No harm done." he said.

She almost stumbled as if she'd been pushed. I balanced her on my arm carefully. I was amused but not surprised by her reaction. She was stunned.

"You can breathe now," I coaxed her, she did so quickly.

Her lips moved but nothing came out. I looked at Gideon again but he stayed silent,refusing to say more.

"You can call me Maya. Don't concern yourself with that, all is forgiven." I could feel Gideon's disagreement but ignored him.

I prodded her on her way. She waddled looking grateful but still embarrassed. I smiled as she departed and sighed softly.

"You could have said more to alleviate her worries." I commented.

"My problem isn't with her, she had nothing to worry about.I said what I needed to." he responded not feeling guilty in the slightest.I had to give it to him for trying. He was stubborn.

"I didn't know you had a problem with anyone." I said.

He grunted and I laughed in response. I felt a slight tug before my hair was released from its place and whipped in the wind. I saw Gideon fling the string I used to tie it with away before I could grab it.

He removed the strands from my face before pulling me closer to him. I hadn't realized we'd stopped moving.

"I prefer it like this." he said, running his hands through it.

"You could have just said so."

"I did."

~

I watched him move from behind the partition on his side of the room. It was funny how I could see his head poking out from the top. I moved further away from the edge of my own partition watching his shadow move across it. I watched his shadow engulf the material as if he were standing just behind it.

I touched my forehead where he'd planted soft kisses before moving my hand down to my chest, tracing the fading scar. Two sides of him, so spontaneous in nature. I watched his shadow grow smaller as I dropped my hand and grabbed the cotton material of his shirt.I pulled it over my head before grasping my hair and releasing it from under the material.

Wasn't there something so exhilarating about doing something unexpected?

I slid into the bed beside him, his hands quickly settling over me in that familiar position.I didn't take notice when his body hovered over my own and an unfamiliar heat rippled across my skin.

He pressed me further into the bed and lowered his head, "The rogue had red eyes..." I whispered unsure of my voice.

"Then I'll exterminate it."

He lowered his head and inhaled my scent, that still hadn't changed, running his nose up and down my neck.

I stifled my tears not wanting to betray anything to him. We had just found some peace, there was no need to disturb it. He rolled us to our side and I had gathered myself,just enjoying his warmth.

I guess I wasn't that person but always hanging onto the edge, never brave enough to just let go.

THIS IS AN UNEDITED DRAFT.THANK YOU FOR READING.