FIVE: REVOLUTION

[five]

      I returned deep into the night still in my wolf form to my chilled cabin. It was dark but I paid no mind to it. The fire had since died, not even the coal was warm and my cot was still folded in the corner where I left it. I doubt the children visited with their parents still rippling with the news of my claiming. I quickly lit another fire glad I had gathered more firewood earlier in the week. I poked the fire with fingers being careful not to burn myself. I dusted my hands before dipping my hands in the freezing cold water of a bucket by my door. I grabbed the only ladle I possessed and dipped into the second bucket of water, also cold and drank from it.

      I washed my face with the cold water and some homemade soap.

      I hung my cot back up but could not usher any sleep. I wrapped myself in my blanket and sat in front of the flickering fire.

Was this not when, a girl should have her mother? Tell her mother her fears, then the mother give the daughter advice. Like a dance, each dedicated to taking the right steps and following the music perfectly. Meanwhile their hearts beat wildly between notes hoping to create a melody sweet to the ears and arresting to the mind.

      We didn't have a fire in my parent's home. We had heating and a fake chimney. This shack I live in was the size of my bathroom. I used to sleep in a bed not a cot with thick sheets to warm me before my wolf could. I remember a bright colored room although the exact color escapes me now.I rocked back and forth trying to remember anything. A closet with clothes, I compare it to the stack that I own in the corner, made from scratch. And finally a mirror but I never know what I look, I think it's for the best. I believe my eyes would trick me into believing that such a girl still lives and breathes of this earth.

     Yet those aren't even the things I cherish most. I miss my parents, just their mere presence would carry all my worries away. They wouldn't even have to speak to me. All three of us in our sitting room doing something, doing anything. Then it all disappears.

      I close my eyes as my wolf wishes to provide me comfort. Living in these small quarters has transformed me into one of necessity. I must survive but for what. I have been enslaved by the very culture set out to protect me. Dare I blame them for my predicament, no, I know better. Everything has a purpose. I have one and that is to serve.

      I rise from my sitting position, clutching my blanket firmly around my body. I lower myself onto the cot and swing gently pushing my body back with my left foot. I stare at the dark ceiling before closing my eyes and welcoming slumber.

~

      I vigorously scrub my legs as I stand halfway in the fresh water near the edge of our territory. It is pretty secluded giving me no worries to being seen. I often fish here for trout. My shift floats a little behind me.

      My clothes lay in a heap by a nearby tree. I step out satisfied with my work as my shift clings to every inch of my body. I quickly grab a scrap cloth and begin to dry myself. My hair is difficult to dry as it is thick and long, I have never dreamed of parting with it.

      I move to pull on my trousers but immediately hear splashing. I look up to be met by Alpha Jensen. He seemed disturbed by the elders' decision but never came directly to speak to me about it. Now was the time, I guess. I pulled my shirt on, clutching my hair as I eased the material over my body.

      I bowed my head in respect, "Alpha."

      "You seem to find yourself in the spotlight at the most inopportune times. You a potential candidate for claiming, I think not." his tone had changed from disbelieving to dark.