SEVEN: ENIGMA

[seven]

I walked behind him as I was accustomed to doing but I couldn't exactly see past him.

I happened to peer past his shoulder and be utterly surprised.

"Eric, why do you have her walking around like some wild animal?" she accused.

I hadn't seen her in years. I hadn't been myself in years.

She was the only one who truly helped me recover when I was very fragile other than my mother's words of wisdom and the moon. She bathed me when my mother couldn't. She fed me when my mother couldn't. She was my caretaker for a time before she left to be claimed. She was my sister. My wolf was joyous. Albeit in secrecy we developed our relationship, I was never afraid to be vulnerable in front of her.

Fate may be kind to me yet.

I looked down to my body. I had completely forgotten my physical state. I was healed, thanks to my wolf. A bath would be nice.

"I found her for you ,didn't I ?" Eric chuckled.

I watched them react to each other with ease. They were intimate, they were mates.

Olivia was an Alpha Female.

She smiled at me. "You were amazing! I wouldn't have expected anything less from you."

Her hair was as black as my own though I kept mine long in accordance with our pack. Her hair had been cut short to her shoulders, perfectly framing her freckled face. Her clothes were different and so was her aura. She was stronger but just as soft as I remember her.

She had postponed her opportunity to be claimed, because her father had contracted a severe illness. She didn't want to risk not seeing him again, if he were to die. She waited for him to pass on before leaving. Her mother had died birthing her. They were very close and had a relationship that I could not say was the same for my father and I. It bothered her but I could not be persuaded to feel duped.

She grabbed me and pulled me into a hard hug. I relished the feeling. She didn't mind that I was dirty, she never did.

"Let's get you cleaned up and talk more in private." She said taking my hand.

I was led to some sort of communal bath with an open shower and stalls. It was empty.

I quickly undressed knowing she wouldn't mind my nudity. She had seen the scars before but she didn't ask for details. I respected her for that, remaining unassuming about me.

The water was warm as it hit my body,different from the cold water I had become accustomed to. All the blood and mud left my body as I scrubbed with the soap provided, it was scented, I believe.

I took the time to contemplate my situation. They had welcomed me with open arms, I was grateful. I had detached myself from believing I deserved such treatment, was now the time to open up?

I left the shower and was provided with a soft white towel. The material felt foreign to my skin as I would have used scraps to dry off.

"You were looking for me." It came out more like a statement than a question.

Olivia was braiding my hair as I spoke. It was a habit when she was still with me.I usually kept my hair in a wild mess. My mother used to complain about that.My hair was never tame, like my spirit she had once said.

"Yes, I was. I was desperate to find you knowing that place was toxic for you. I was ecstatic when I finally saw you. I thought you would never come"

"I had no choice as always. They only want to rid of me.Well, the Elders do. Alpha Jensen and Beta Todd seemed keen on keeping me there."

"I'm sorry, it's like this. You always deserved better and don't mind those two. Ever since assuming my new role, I no longer hold them in the same regard. Hopefully, once you have settled in with us, you will see how horrid they are." She said roughly braiding my hair. She was angry, her emotions always reflected in her actions.

"I don't wish to hold any animosity towards them. They only do what they believe is right. I can't dwell on the ignorance of others." I reply. I had disciplined myself to never take things personal. It was safer that way and worked most of the time but we all had our limits.

"You are too good. I know Gideon will not miss that. If only he could get his head out of his ass long enough." She grumbled. I laughed at her outburst.

 I was equally nervous of this wolf. Gideon, the name was unique.

 "What is he like? Gideon." I questioned.

 She stopped braiding and turned me around to face her.

"He is different and at times difficult but you'll have to determine who he is for yourself. You've met him actually." She became all chirpy. I didn't know if she was excited or nervous.

"I would have thought he had a mate by now. I have the impression that he is quite desperate to leave his fate in such capable hands as yours." I teased.

She smiled at my attempt to jostle her.

"Believe me when I say he is far from it. The elders pressured him to claim someone. Eric and I knew he had no interest in doing it, so we did it for him." She added quickly.

"He had no choice in this either, I suppose." That was interesting, I assumed all males were eager to take a mate. That's all the girls looked forward to in my pack besides the rank they were borne into. I did too, once.

"Well that and he doesn't know about you yet."

We had left the baths to meet my parents in another building.

Before I could ask her what she meant by that a door opened to reveal the man from the arena.

"Spiegel im spiegel" by Arvo Part

THIS IS AN UNEDITED DRAFT.THANK YOU FOR READING.