TWENTY-SIX: TREPIDATION

[twenty-six]

"Gideon, Maya our presence has been requested by two packs just to the west of us." Eric said. "They experienced similar occurrences of rogues hovering and sneaking onto the territory without disturbance but the one furthest from here has had contact with the rogues, of which they will not specify. They want a personal visit."

I was puzzled by the request, Alphas were not known to seek advice outside of a gathering unless absolutely necessary.

The first pack was that of Alpha Roy. They had tracked several footprints but never that of a wolf. The scent was masked. The territory consisted most like swamp, so the dank air and cover of mud was their greatest adversary. They only had tracks to work with.

They'd come close to capturing one of them but could only get a description, the most significant were the eyes.Red.

They offered us a place to stay the night but Olivia insisted we not delay any further discoveries.Gideon drove with one hand, the other rested upon my leg. I was still contemplating why I didn't allow him kiss me but the answer was simple, too simple.

I thought about the information we had gathered from Alpha Roy's pack. The red eyes at the forefront of my mind.

"Is it possible?" I asked. Eric and Olivia were resting in the back so we had some privacy.

"Yes." he said squeezing my thigh.

"But why come back?" I wondered aloud.

"The attack was an anomaly for it's time. Anything afterwards became hushed. There was nothing to look for. It was supposed to end that night." Gideon replied.

Forced bonds were forbidden for obvious reasons but rogues weren't meant to have the capacity for creating them. If these sightings increased it was obvious they had found a way. I couldn't be sure this and Gideon's situation were even related. I didn't want him to relive it all.

I squeezed his hand back dropping the subject for now.

Alpha Sam's pack was much smaller than Eric and Olivia's and reminded me of my parents' own. They cut to the chase but the most striking thing I could sense was their fear.

"We've heard rumors that your Beta has experienced this disease before." Alpha Sam addressed us.

"What are you implying?" Eric asked her.

"We've captured one of the rogues surrounding our territory."

The rogue was chained to a wooden post near the border, hidden from the pack's sight.

"He has refused to speak. We were even lucky we caught him. He was passed out by one of our pastures having snuck in through the rocky terrain that we hardly venture. It was our natural defense that had never been penetrated. No sane wolf would ever take that route." she informed us.

"They aren't meant to be sane." Gideon replied.

"You're acquainted with his condition?" Alpha Sam inquired.

"Too well,Alpha." I supplied for Gideon as he was reeling from his proximity.

It was true everything Gideon had described to me about the state of one's' body during a forced bond was seen here. The tense stature, bulging veins,sprouting fur and sharpened claws, almost bluish skin and weary but bright red eyes.

He stirred, shaking the chains he was bound by. He locked eyes with me and began struggling as if pining for me. Gideon snarled at him, blocking me from his view in the process but it was to no avail. He wouldn't stop. Gideon moved forward quickly putting the rogue to rest.